Getting an 03/04 EB Explorer to replace my 98 Mounty. Have questions, need advice | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting an 03/04 EB Explorer to replace my 98 Mounty. Have questions, need advice

Not much I can add; some really good comprehensive replies. The Ltd in addition to having an (optional) exclusive tricoat metallic ceramic white clearcoat paint (say that 10x fast), has special chrome rims, and a few other trim details that differ from the EB.

The 4WD gets better economy (when left in 2WD/auto mode) and is better for offroading. The AWD is better for high speed cornering (well, high speed relative to normal SUV speeds) and driving in the rain or on roads with intermittent patches of snow. You cannot leave the 4WD permanently engaged at highway speeds and the auto-4WD mode only powers the rear wheels until slippage is detected.

If I recall correctly, the '03 is the only (Gen3) year with a limited-slip rear differential as an option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much I can add; some really good comprehensive replies. The Ltd in addition to having an (optional) exclusive tricoat metallic ceramic white clearcoat paint (say that 10x fast), has special chrome rims, and a few other trim details that differ from the EB.

The 4WD gets better economy (when left in 2WD/auto mode) and is better for offroading. The AWD is better for high speed cornering (well, high speed relative to normal SUV speeds) and driving in the rain or on roads with intermittent patches of snow. You cannot leave the 4WD permanently engaged at highway speeds and the auto-4WD mode only powers the rear wheels until slippage is detected.

If I recall correctly, the '03 is the only (Gen3) year with a limited-slip rear differential as an option.

Thats odd, i could of sworn that my 02 has limited slip. I thought if you had the class 3 with 3.73's you got limited slip.

I'm new to the 3rd Gen Explorer world so please do excuse what may be interpreted as arrogance... but several times during perusing the forums I have come across posts regarding to the 4WD 3rd generation Explorers as being 2WD when in the default 4X4 AUTO mode, and from looking at the manual to my particular 4WD Explorer, and to other online sources, this is simply not the case!

Taken from the manual... "4X4 AUTO - Power to all four wheels; used for normal street and highway driving"

There is NO 2wd mode for 4wd Explorers, at least for the 3rd generation models... at least not for 2004 models. If anyone knows differently for the 2002/2003 models, I'd be interested in knowing, but definitely not for 2004 models which I doubt vary significantly from the 02, 03 models.

When in 4x4 AUTO mode, the computer module checks 50 times per second for loss in traction between the front and rear axles, and can divert more/less torque to each one whenever circumstances are required, but all 4 wheels receive power during these checks. What am I missing where some think that this is is a 2wd mode? :rolleyes:

The AWD system as far as I am aware in 3rd Generation Explorers is RWD until slippage is detected, upon which it resorts to all wheel drive, and is for the most part, automated with little, if any input from the driver.

Scott

Sounds to me like your explanation of AWD is really how the 4x4 Auto works. This is why some people call it 2WD, since it is 2WD until it senses some slip then automatically kicks into 4WD. '96 was the last year that the 4 door explorer had a dedicated 2WD option and the switch options were 2WD/4WD auto/4WD Low. From '97 on it became 4WD auto/4x4 high/ 4x4 low.

Everything I have ever seen about AWD says that its a constant split of some percentage such as 60/40 rear/front power distribution all the time. (I'm just guessing on the actual numbers). I don't think it would be legal to call it AWD if it didn't actually power all the wheels all the time.

Jason

I'm new to the 3rd Gen Explorer world so please do excuse what may be interpreted as arrogance... but several times during perusing the forums I have come across posts regarding to the 4WD 3rd generation Explorers as being 2WD when in the default 4X4 AUTO mode, and from looking at the manual to my particular 4WD Explorer, and to other online sources, this is simply not the case!

Taken from the manual... "4X4 AUTO - Power to all four wheels; used for normal street and highway driving"

There is NO 2wd mode for 4wd Explorers, at least for the 3rd generation models... at least not for 2004 models. If anyone knows differently for the 2002/2003 models, I'd be interested in knowing, but definitely not for 2004 models which I doubt vary significantly from the 02, 03 models.

When in 4x4 AUTO mode, the computer module checks 50 times per second for loss in traction between the front and rear axles, and can divert more/less torque to each one whenever circumstances are required, but all 4 wheels receive power during these checks. What am I missing where some think that this is is a 2wd mode? :rolleyes:

The AWD system as far as I am aware in 3rd Generation Explorers is RWD until slippage is detected, upon which it resorts to all wheel drive, and is for the most part, automated with little, if any input from the driver.

Scott

You have it backwards. AND the manual is poorly written. Correct: 4x4 Auto has the potential to send power to all four wheels and there is no lockout to enable permanent 2WD-only operation. One could argue thus there is no 2WD mode. However, under normal conditions it only sends power to the rear wheels. When these begin to slip, some power is transfered to the front wheels. If no slippage is detected ALL power goes to the rear wheels. That means in everyday driving, it is a 2WD (RWD). A comparison of fuel economy figures would confirm this. Checking 50 times per second is great but it's better to power the wheels before they actually start to slip (IMO). Cornering ability even in dry will be compromised versus an AWD model. The AWD model has a constant 35% front / 65% rear torque split. Note, there is a 4WD Hi mode but you should not use that on dry roads nor at high speeds. And definitely don't use 4x4 Lo unless you are crawling at low speeds in mud or snow or the like.

This review and excerpt below should clarify:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcont...00082499/roadtestarticle.html&articleId=43874

"Mountaineer's AWD splits torque 35 percent to the front wheels and 65 percent to the rears and does away with any transfer case levers or push-buttons. It is unfortunate that Mercury buyers aren't offered a choice of AWD or Control Trac 4WD like they were last year. Not only does the Explorer's Control Trac system provide 2WD operation on dry pavement, resulting in less friction and vibration from the drivetrain, but also it gives the driver the option of using 4WD-Lo mode for tricky off-road maneuvering."

You have it backwards. AND the manual is poorly written. Correct: 4x4 Auto has the potential to send power to all four wheels and there is no lockout to enable permanent 2WD-only operation. One could argue thus there is no 2WD mode. However, under normal conditions it only sends power to the rear wheels. When these begin to slip, some power is transfered to the front wheels. If no slippage is detected ALL power goes to the rear wheels. That means in everyday driving, it is a 2WD (RWD). A comparison of fuel economy figures would confirm this. Checking 50 times per second is great but it's better to power the wheels before they actually start to slip (IMO). Cornering ability even in dry will be compromised versus an AWD model. The AWD model has a constant 35% front / 65% rear torque split. Note, there is a 4WD Hi mode but you should not use that on dry roads nor at high speeds. And definitely don't use 4x4 Lo unless you are crawling at low speeds in mud or snow or the like.

This review and excerpt below should clarify:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcont...00082499/roadtestarticle.html&articleId=43874

"Mountaineer's AWD splits torque 35 percent to the front wheels and 65 percent to the rears and does away with any transfer case levers or push-buttons. It is unfortunate that Mercury buyers aren't offered a choice of AWD or Control Trac 4WD like they were last year. Not only does the Explorer's Control Trac system provide 2WD operation on dry pavement, resulting in less friction and vibration from the drivetrain, but also it gives the driver the option of using 4WD-Lo mode for tricky off-road maneuvering."

That certainly is an interesting review. I have to say though, that article was written in 2000, using a pre-production 2002 model Explorer... it doesn't even mention the AWD system at all on the Explorer! It does mention it for the Mountaineer but not the Explorer. Although the vehicle Manual may be badly written, I find it had to believe that after 4 years (in my models case) since pre-production units were unveiled, that they would publish something that literally goes entirely against the actual operation of the vehicles hardware.

I'm not saying that you are right and I am wrong, or vice-versa. However, it appears that we both have differing ideas regarding the 4x4 system on these vehicles. The pre-production review isn't exactly an authorative source for information, as I could likely post up another 10 reviews that state the opposite! I have to believe that the owners manual that comes with the vehicles are a more viable source though.

Also, the AWD models seem to have better MPG ratings than their 4X4 counterparts from what I've read on the internet, which certainly seems to support what the manual says.

Surely someone must have some authorative information on this subject. It seems like an awfully big thing for people not to be entirely sure about. I've read the manual, many online reviews and information that say the 4x4 models never power only 2 wheels, always the 4, even if it is to a small degree of power to the front axle, where as other sources apparently say the opposite!

My Explorer is 4x4 and does not have traction control. So speaking from experience, I can easily make all 4 wheels spin on the wet grass in 4x4 Auto mode, but again that could be because it detected slippage and sent power to the front axle.

I would have thought that even a small amount of power would always be through the front axle, say 5 or 10%, with more available when conditions turn slippery. But, I don't know for sure!

What's going' on people?!

I think maybe the source of confusion is that you have an Explorer Sport (did not realize this before) which bears almost no relation to the third generation Explorer:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/ford/explorersport/100078074/review.html
"The Sport rides on the old Explorer's platform, which dates to 1990 "

Here's a production review of a 2002 Explorer:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcont...00625343/roadtestarticle.html&articleId=48570

"Control Trac is an automatic four-wheel-drive system that offers three modes of operation: 4x4 Auto, 4x4 High and 4x4 Low. All three functions are controlled using simple push buttons located on the dashboard. In automatic mode, the Explorer is driven by its rear wheels until wheel slippage is detected. If the rear wheels begin to slip, up to 100 percent of the engine's torque can be directed to the front wheels."

There really is no ambiguity here. Look back 10 days in this forum for a more lengthy discussion on AWD vs 4x4.

Incidentally the Mountaineer and Explorer are mechanical twins. The AWD was an exclusive in the Mountaineer in 2002. In 2003 it became an option for the Explorer.

I think maybe the source of confusion is that you have an Explorer Sport (did not realize this before) which bears almost no relation to the third generation Explorer:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/ford/explorersport/100078074/review.html
"The Sport rides on the old Explorer's platform, which dates to 1990 "

Here's a production review of a 2002 Explorer:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcont...00625343/roadtestarticle.html&articleId=48570

"Control Trac is an automatic four-wheel-drive system that offers three modes of operation: 4x4 Auto, 4x4 High and 4x4 Low. All three functions are controlled using simple push buttons located on the dashboard. In automatic mode, the Explorer is driven by its rear wheels until wheel slippage is detected. If the rear wheels begin to slip, up to 100 percent of the engine's torque can be directed to the front wheels."

There really is no ambiguity here. Look back 10 days in this forum for a more lengthy discussion on AWD vs 4x4.

Incidentally the Mountaineer and Explorer are mechanical twins. The AWD was an exclusive in the Mountaineer in 2002. In 2003 it became an option for the Explorer.

I do have an 04 XLS-Sport, but it is not a "Sport model". The "Sport" part of my Explorer is just a trim level and not the "Sport" model of past. I'm not sure when this change occurred from model (as in the 3dr versions using the same format and platform as the 2nd generation) to a trim-level such as mine. The Sport trim level was available on XLS and XLT 4-door models, just adding slight things, in my case, the running boards, aluminium wheels, higher level dash, etc. But I do know what you mean by the 3-door "Sport models" differing from the 3rd generation 4-door models, and basically being a re-styled 2nd gen.

As for the review you posted, it certainly does say what you quoted. Just doing a quick Google search as a counter to that review, here is one of many reviews of a 2004 version that says the opposite. Let me quote; "The normal driving mode is Auto 4WD; there is no two-wheel-drive mode. In Auto 4WD, Control Trac directs power according to input from sensors that compare grip between the front and rear wheels."

The full review URL is this: http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2004_Ford_Explorer&ReviewID=1403

Now it could be that the ControlTrac system was changed from the 2002 models to the 2004 models, but I wouldn't have thought so?! I just don't know!

But it certainly seems like this topic needs some definitive answers. All I know is what the vehicle manuals say, some reviews that concur with that, and some that say the opposite.

Kinda strange!

Scott

Back