getting BW 1354 or 4406 or other elec transfer case to work | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

getting BW 1354 or 4406 or other elec transfer case to work

Question I been searching everywhere, but if you already have a 1354e in place and swap drivetrains and use the 4406e could you use the existing 1354e motor and wiring harness already in the truck without rewiring, referring to the sport trac and ranger which came with the 1354e and the 2wd-4h-4l switch already on the dash.

That should work fine... They use the same shift motor and positions for the gears

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as long as the motor has the same degree of travel, same mounting positions and same shifting pattern it would work no problem. I would confirm the shifting pattern and ensure through a meter the postions in the transfer case provide the signal on the same line out as the old.

Thanks I appreciate the knowledge.

as long as the motor has the same degree of travel, same mounting positions and same shifting pattern it would work no problem. I would confirm the shifting pattern and ensure through a meter the postions in the transfer case provide the signal on the same line out as the old.

You can trust me that its all the same. Just use your 13-54 electronics and shift motor on the 44-06. ... As seen in this pic of a 44-06. (compare it to the 13-54 pic in post #5 of this thread.)

You're welcome:thumbsup: hope you're swap works! And to snranger, if he wants to troubleshoot instead of just trusting someone atleast he has parameters to go by... Its always fun to explore new things and troubleshoot its how ya learn!
I can't remember what I put in my thread its been a few years regarding its content, I believe the circuitry between the 1354 and 4406 would be the same externally however I think I remember the two pcbs off the motor being different... I can't remember. I wouldn't put it past ford/Borg to change the circuitry internally. Point being, before I'd blindly hook it up, I'd confirm first before messing anything up. I've learned over doing this and many other things its that 1% of the time that gets you 1% of the time, wait that's not right, well you know what I'm drivin at.

Cdw6212rtd, I was reading through these old posts and I think I was too excited at the time to pay attention to the hater tone in some of your posts. Is there a statute of limitations on calling out someone's haterness? Guess I didn't care at the time and now well hell it's the Internet, I don't know you.

Anyone have links to threads on the other way to make this work?

I have this laying around and I'm trying to figure out witch truck would be better to put it in , the 5.0 sport or the mounty ? Don't worry about the tank issues I have that covered either way, I'm talking wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_20130915_160504_157.jpg
    IMG_20130915_160504_157.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20130915_160530_621.jpg
    IMG_20130915_160530_621.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 355

I have both versions of the 4406 and I can't decide what I wanna use... I also couldn't get the wiring to work, even though it plugged in, and I swapped out a GEM... I'm planning on getting it done soon though.. what do you have planned in the sport for the gas tank??

Si

I'm just waiting for my rear drive shaft and my v8 sport will have a 4406 in it. Its a manual shift and I dont have any plans to wire any of it up. Hell I dont even know what the plug ins are for.

I have both versions of the 4406 and I can't decide what I wanna use... I also couldn't get the wiring to work, even though it plugged in, and I swapped out a GEM... I'm planning on getting it done soon though.. what do you have planned in the sport for the gas tank??

Si
If I put it in the sport im just gonna move the tank back and deal with the hose on the fill neck ,I have already played with mine and found it will scoot back a good amount, the one i have is a tod from a 97 expedition, im looking for info on how to make it work with the v6 tod stuff that's left in my v8 sport, or how much of a pain it would be to put it in the mounty, I have a sport tank if I go that route,

Cdw6212rtd was talking about someone who pulled it off years ago.....just noticed he hasn't been on in about a month and that's not like him, hope he's ok

Snoranger did you ever find any pics of what you did?

Snoranger did you ever find any pics of what you did?

I don't have any pics. I haven't fully installed it yet. All I ever did was hook up the wiring and test. It's all part of my slow moving diesel swap.

If I put it in the sport im just gonna move the tank back and deal with the hose on the fill neck ,I have already played with mine and found it will scoot back a good amount, the one i have is a tod from a 97 expedition, im looking for info on how to make it work with the v6 tod stuff that's left in my v8 sport, or how much of a pain it would be to put it in the mounty, I have a sport tank if I go that route,

So, the sport tank will move back enough, and won't foul on the rear axle? any chance you can get me some pics of this? I wanna get this done soon before the snow hits.. ( should be soon :( )

Si

I'll try blueka, im gonna be under it soon because im picking up a 97 trans tonight so I can get the 99 trans out , im still not sure about using this thing, I would rather just put a manual case in both trucks and be done but it was free and although I can find manual cases they aren't cheep, I kinda wonder if i can Cobb up a cable shift for this thing

well, I have both options, but, I'd rather use the elec one seeing as I have all the wiring there already... although the TOD is going to be obsolete when I do the SAS...

Si

I'm working on mine right now so give me a few and I'll get some pics

OK so we need roughly three inches more for the shift motor along with modifications to the front tank mount , on mine I have about four from the rear of the tank to the axle ,so I'm thinking push it back two and since my tank is steel maybe clearance it with a mallet . The question is how do we deal with the gem? Because if we can figure it out I'll put it in my sport

Attachments

• IMG_20130921_142024_114.jpg
    IMG_20130921_142024_114.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_20130921_142208_428.jpg
    IMG_20130921_142208_428.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20130921_134612_091.jpg
    IMG_20130921_134612_091.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 338

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, I have the 4.0 dashboard... I'm pretty sure the 5.0 and 4.0 dashes are the same, so, should just be a case of swapping out the AWD GEM to a 4x4 GEM... simples.. at least... that's what I'm hoping...

Si

Back