getting BW 1354 or 4406 or other elec transfer case to work | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

getting BW 1354 or 4406 or other elec transfer case to work

I wasn't being flippant or disrespectful in my last comment, so please, no offence by what was said, I was just trying to get my head around what you're doing.

Si

Its quite alright, I didn't get offended, I said stupid clutch as in a joking manner because it is a stupid clutch!!!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see, you are not planning to use the internal clutch, the stupid clutch it has, LOL. It only functions when it receives the signal, that's how the A4WD happens. Regards,

If im not mistaken I do not have a clutch in mine as it came from a f150 w/o the TOD feature

I see, I'm not familiar with each version of the 4406, I thought with a shift motor it also would have the TOD too. Those are also easier to come by to I think, than the TOD from Expeditions/Navigators.

Yeah I'm no BW engineer, but the stuff that I've read claims that there are different models, from what I've seen most expeditions (i think all) have the TOD feature and most F150 E-shifts do not have it. I think that the TOD feature was an option for the F150. I'm thinkin the A4WD was an option for F150's and might of come standard for the Expedition, I wouldn't imagine the manual shift having a clutch assembly either?

I finally got the last relay in the mail, I mounted the assembly in a project housing that fits perfectly under the dash, Will finish wiring tomorrow and will also see if my 40 dollar relay project works!! $hit I know it will.... that's the killians and crown talking....lol

It freakin works!!! Ive got 2H 4H and 4L from the flick of my stock switch!!!! I took the dash out used an xacto knife to remove a little copper and soldered the wires from the relay bank to indicate transfer case position to the lights and now in 4H the case engages then turns the light on, in 4L it engages then turns the light on just like a stock truck!!!!!!!!!! total cost ~400
electric shift kicks ass!!
The whole relay and wire assembly fits perfectly under the HVAC controls and is covered by the dash I don't have any pictures as the batteries were dead and I'm not going to let to AA batts stop me Ill see if I cant get a video posted:D:D
Some one else should try it to
Regards, Jeff Snyder

Congratulations on your modification working as planned. You've completed the project rather quickly.

Congrats Jeff, well done. If that relay control box you made is not too expensive, I suggest making a spare, after you have thoroughly tested it.

Thanks for the advice,
Maybe if there is an interest I could manufacture some kits....

Ill also try to take some pics of the whole system as I get some more time to take it back apart,
UPDATE to install
I did have to trim the position sensor just a little for the system to shift back into 2H, When I originally tested the position sensor I must of missed it with the meter but apparently the 2H circuit (yel/wht) has continuity for a brief second upon return to the 2H position with 4L. 2H and 4L are two circuits that cause the motor to go into different directions, so the motor was bouncing off of 2H hitting the 4L circuit and then bouncing back and repeating the cycle it was sending the relays into a chattering mess and the system would not go back into 2H, a little thinking and cursing and later and I figured out it was the sensor ring not working quite as planned... I say trim but I used a lttle nail polish to cover up the part in the 4L ring that was causing the interference in that one little position. Its wierd the 4L ring works perfect and upon inspection of the ring you would think that it was designed perfectly except half way around the ring where it seems as though it is not needed in my project anyways there is this little protrusion connected to it that was causing all the fuss with the 2H circuit like I said nail polish worked to cover it up and the contacts are none the wiser as are the motor, sensor and the rest of system. Works freakin great as previously mentioned.
next minor project puttin some low light leds green preferably to match the dash lights in the cup holders so you can see them at night. I can see the 4x4 switch at night now so why stop there...

I think making some kits would be hit or miss. Maybe after you test yours awhile you could post a Poll thread seeking how much interest there would be in one of these with a link to this thread so folks see you do know what you are doing.

update still working like a champ! it is very nice to have shift on the fly 4x4H and 4x4low! very nice to have 2 wheel too! and no stinkin shifter stickin out of my floor for my wife to complain about. Also very cool to see the dash lights work. upon completion of the shifts the lights come on very cool.
all homemade under 500 total and less than 48 hours worth of work
take that manual shifters!!!

Lol, that's great to hear your project still working successfully :thumbsup:

Ditto, keep it going.

Posting schematics for those interested,

Shoot me a line if you have any questions.

schematic0001-2-1.jpg

damnit... I have tried and tried to rotate and resave but the damn image keeps showing up big as hell upside down.... F it

Never mind persistance pays off left it big so the details would show up

I'm in AWD and still stuck(4.0 to 5.0 swap)

It freakin works!!! Ive got 2H 4H and 4L from the flick of my stock switch!!!! I took the dash out used an xacto knife to remove a little copper and soldered the wires from the relay bank to indicate transfer case position to the lights and now in 4H the case engages then turns the light on, in 4L it engages then turns the light on just like a stock truck!!!!!!!!!! total cost ~400
electric shift kicks ass!!
The whole relay and wire assembly fits perfectly under the HVAC controls and is covered by the dash I don't have any pictures as the batteries were dead and I'm not going to let to AA batts stop me Ill see if I cant get a video posted:D:D
Some one else should try it to
Regards, Jeff Snyder

:burnout:WOW!YOU ARE A GODSEND!I love how you conquered this wiring dilema.I was refered to this thread to aid in getting my 95 EX 4.0 to 5.0 swap to work with my 4406 e-shift transfer case from an f250 (I'm dropping the AWD t-case).I've been driving around with AWD for a while now and real tired of it.I still have the original shift lock axle in front with vacuum switches in front.I'm aware of the driveshaft swaps and sport gas tank...but just one question; I need to know how much you will charge me to build my relay set-up for my project that will allow me to enjoy my EX as much as you are yours?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question I been searching everywhere, but if you already have a 1354e in place and swap drivetrains and use the 4406e could you use the existing 1354e motor and wiring harness already in the truck without rewiring, referring to the sport trac and ranger which came with the 1354e and the 2wd-4h-4l switch already on the dash.

Back