Getting hot air with the heater OFF | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting hot air with the heater OFF

Reaction score
City, State
SLP, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4X4
:fire: :fire:
Has anyone experienced this issue?
After I've been driving my X for a while, with ONLY the FAN on (HEATER off), I get hot air coming through the vents. Coolant temp is in the Normal range (no overheating)
I need to shut off the fan and switch the system to the OFF position to stop this hot air coming from the engine compartment but even then I get some air coming through
I'm puzzled as to what is causing this
The AC runs fine
Any ideas on what to look for??
I did a search prior to posting the question but didn't seem to find anything on the subject

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some people are going to tell you "blend door" or vac problem and all that jazz. However, I believe that what you describe is normal to our trucks. I have seen this behavior on every 1st gen I've been around. Turn the lever to "OFF" and blower off, and that largely stops it...but not completely.

If you have the blower on, it will blow out hot air. You actually have to turn off the blower and move the lever to OFF to stop it, and even then a little air still comes out the vents.

Rhett
thanks for the input, that's exactly what I do, turn the blower and the lever off and there is still some hot air comig out the vent. I was kind of hoping it could be solved, but it seems I will just have to live with it

Hot Air

My X was doing the same thing then I noticed a little sticker on the side of my glove box. I says to stop air flow into the cabin, move the vent control to Max AC and the heat control to hot, and turn the fan off. It works pretty well but you still get a little warm air on the feet.

My X does the same thing. Sucks on long distance drives especially if you your ac doesn't work. My whole dash gets hot.

Seems like there was a thread on here a long time ago where we all talked about it...and it was specific to 1st gen. 2nd gen heat/cool and dash setup is all different so there's doesn't apply. I think that it was mentioned that there is a vacuum issue involved. I can't remember if this is something inherent to the design, or if it was an actual leakage problem. Maybe one of those guys will see this and comment. ?

My 1st Gen has done this ever since it was new. I took it back to FORD and they fiddled with the cable to actuate the door, but to no avail. So I can at least offer one more vote to it being a common problem.

My dads truck didnt do this at all. Then he put a new heater core in, and it always feels like the heat is on.

Back