• Register Today It's free!

Getting into 4 low.

littleharv93

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 f150 xlt
hi a couple of my friends and i at school were climbing snow banks and i put it in 4x4 and it didnt really help me make it up

this sounds stupid but howe do i put it in 4low and will that help

my explorer stats

94 eddie
4.0 v6
33s
5.5 inch lift

people were calling it crap and i jsut want to prove them wrong

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problems getting it up? Don't worry, it happens to lots of guys...

Were you spinning out, or not have the power to climb?

You should have a 4 low button, or a certain spot for your 4x4 shifter [if you have one] for 4low... what would really help is having an LS or locker in the rear/front.

I imagine you have an open dif front/back which is no good for traction.

well i have a 4 low button that says long range is that the same

and i didnt have enough power to go further i got maybe 2 feet up it

You did put it in neutral and step on the brake when pushing the 4L button, right? It doesn't sound like you were really in Low range.

Check the sticker on the drivers side door. Under Axel Code, I suspect you will see D4 which is 3.73 gears and the factory Limited Slip. If that is the axel you have, you can get a LS rebuild kit for about $70. That and about 2-3hrs of work will significantly improve traction.

if i put it in 4lo will it help up a snowbank

my 4wd works but 4lo nvr worked no matter how hard i try to push the 4lo button

With mine I can climb snow piles at school no problem.. with mine, you have to stop, put in "N" press brake and let off, hear it click in 4LO, and go... I'm running 35's, factory4.10 gears.. 4-5inches of lift.... I showed up my friends fullsize dodge... he sunk in and I floated on top...

The difference between 4Lo and 4HI is that there isn't equal power going to front and rear in 4HI... in 4LO it gets equal power front and rear....

The difference between 4Lo and 4HI is that there isn't equal power going to front and rear in 4HI... in 4LO it gets equal power front and rear.

That is incorrect. He has a '94, the BW1354 (electric or manual) when you are in 4 anything, the front and rear drive shafts are locked together.

Your diff's may or may not send power to all 4 wheels. an open diff will send power to the one with the least traction and it will spin, that's the reason for a locker in the diff. That will lock both axels so the one with traction gets power too.

Your front diff will be open unless you know there is a locker in there.

Limited slip uses a static spring to put pressure on small clutch plates in the diff. If the clutch plates are worn, it will take less pressure top make them slip.

As for the difference between 4H and 4L it's gear ratios (L stands for LOW RANGE)

Ok, MY bad... that's how it was explained to me for mine.. I didn't know if it would apply here or not... so you didn't have to jump down my throat about it... instead of being all "thats incorrect", you could've just been "actually he's got a different transfercase so it isn't like that... you know what I mean... b/c I wouldn't just jump down someones throat if they got something wrong.. they were just trying to help...

in order to get into 4 low you have to be in neuteral

duh i always put it in N to put it in 4hi or try to do 4lo. it used to work but not no more...

The difference between 4Auto and 4HI is that there isn't equal power going to front and rear in 4Auto... in 4H it gets equal power front and rear....

Correct ^^

Axial, sorry if you thought I was jumping down your throat:( I wasn't trying to. What you described is the difference between 4AUTO and 4H on the 2nd Gen X's. You might be interested in the 'Brown Wire Mod' if you haven't done it already. (search for it :thumbsup:)

The difference between 4H and 4L is still gear ratio.

OldFord, Assuming you have the electric transfer case, your shift motor might not be functioning correctly. There are many threads on rebuilding them.

You can try this; have some one shift it into 4L (or try to) while you are under the rig and tap on the shift motor. Sometimes that helps the position sensor make better contact so the motor knows where it is in the shift stroke. If that does get it working again, you might still consider a rebuild which really isn't difficult.

Axial, sorry if you thought I was jumping down your throat:( I wasn't trying to. What you described is the difference between 4AUTO and 4H on the 2nd Gen X's. You might be interested in the 'Brown Wire Mod' if you haven't done it already. (search for it :thumbsup:)

It's ok... I was in a bad mood and to see someone tell me I was wrong didn't help... but again I forgot that 1st gen's didn't have the same transfercase...
But thanks for the apology...

I actually have already done the brownwire mod... and I'm suprised on how well 2wdLO get's the 35's spinning with the stock SOHC,
Now all I need is a locker for my 8.8 and the transplant of my new 5 liter iroc eater
Say goodbye to "one wheel peels", "one tire fires", etc...

Back