getting my OME's installed, big problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

getting my OME's installed, big problem

jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
So, I finally decided that I didn't have the time to put the OME-36 springs in and brought my '96 to a guy, Luigi, that has worked on Explorers (add a leafs etc.) and other trucks a lot and really wanted to do the job. I had the OME springs, OME shocks, and a set of Energy Suspension poly bushings for the rear springs.

1: Energy Suspension (and EVERY body else) only makes rear leaf kits for 91-94 Explorers, but I heard on this site that up to 97 still are the same so I got the poly bushings any way. Luigi Calls and says that the bushings for the front are good, but the rear of the spring are too small (at least for the OME springs) so I ok'd him to send them out to some place in Patterson to have correct size bushings pressed in. No problem yet, I just eat the cost of the Energy Suspension kit (unlsess I go retrun it).

2: The Energy Suspension kit also comes w/ bushings for the top of the shackle (where it mounts to the frame). So Luigi removes one of the shackles and bushings and finds that the bushings from the E.S. kit also don't fit up there. We call Ford... there is no replacement part. Call other dealers of suspension parts... no catalogs offer a replacement for post '94 upper shackle bushings. Go to Hackensack spring on the recommendation of 2 Ford dealers, great place, shoulda gone there in the first place. Well there really is no replacement (they called another Ford dealer and went thru all their catalogs), but Bob (the man at Hackensack Spring) did go thru a bunch of bins and came up w/ a 2 possible replacements (the stock ones are different sizes on each end) that could work, so I bought them ($9 bucks, what the heck?) so I brought them back to Luigi. In the mean time he realized that one of the bushings from the E.S. kit for the springs might be able to work in the upper shackle spot so he's gonna make a decision and put one of the choices in.

So what gives? I've heard quite a few guys put in the OME springs w/ no problems. Heard of lots of guys that put in extended shackles w/ no problem. Are you just not supposed to remove the uppper shackle bushing? What if it does wear out? Ford wants you to buy the entire frame w/ the bushing already installed, that's a bit cost prohibitive!?! Please help!!

Let's hope there's no problem w/ the shocks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ome

OME makes rubber and polyurethane bushings for the OME leafs. You can order the leafs with your choice of bushings already installed. The shackle mount in the frame is usually the last bushign to wear out. the leaf spring ones usually crack and mine have even come loose inside the eyelet, but my shackle bushing in the frame is still like new on a '93. I think the idea is you get new rubber or urethane on the leafs when you buy them, then leave the bushing in the frame alone. Other than that, Energy Suspension makes all sorts of bushings so even if they dont list it for the aplication, if you know what the bushing looks like and have measurements you can get what you need or at least something close than can be trimmed to fit

ome

OME makes their own rubber and polyurethane bushings for the OME leafs. You can order the leafs with your choice of bushings already installed. The shackle mount in the frame is usually the last bushign to wear out. the leaf spring ones usually crack and mine have even come loose inside the eyelet, but my shackle bushing in the frame is still like new on a '93. I think the idea is you get new rubber or urethane on the leafs when you buy them, then leave the bushing in the frame alone. Other than that, Energy Suspension makes all sorts of bushings so even if they dont list it for the aplication, if you know what the bushing looks like and have measurements you can get what you need or at least something close than can be trimmed to fit

jwrezz,
OME actually recommends that you use the stock Ford rubber leaf spring bushings.
The poly bushings will give you a stiffer ride. You don't need to replace the upper bushing on the shackle.

I know that I don't need to replace the upper shackle bushing, problem was that the guy that did the instalation had already taken an air chisel to the bushing and took it out only to find that there is no replacement for it!! I know that no one has heard of them going bad, but what if they do? Ford made this part "non-servicable" hence no suspension companies offer a replacement! Luckily we got one of the poly bushings from the E.S. kit to work in there. We'll see how long it lasts, if it goes, I'm going back to Hackensack Spring and have them resize the openings and put a new bushing in there.

At least I have my truck back now. Looks pretty good. Seems like more than 2" right now, sits pretty hi in the back. I'm sure that'll settle and even out w/ my twisted torsion bars. Looks kinda funny w/ the 235/75/15's on there. I guess those 31's will have to go on right away. I'm actually thinking of getting a 2" body lift, cutting up the front wheel wells (already lost the platic below the bumper) and doing the trimming and seeing if 32 or 33x10.5's Look better. 33's would really give me the ground clearance I like to see. I know I really shouldn't go much wider than 11.5 w/ out some major mods. And besides, I can't fit 'em on my stock 7" rims. Thanx for the replies. I'll get pics up soon.

Hey Ray, can you give me the # of the guy that made those shock mount skid plates? Will he still make 'em? Has any thing else been more or less mass produced like them? Thanx much!!

Originally posted by jwrezz

Hey Ray, can you give me the # of the guy that made those shock mount skid plates? Will he still make 'em? Has any thing else been more or less mass produced like them? Thanx much!!

The guys name is Mark Train of Trains 4x4 & Off Road
in Salinas Ca. His number is (831) 449-8435
You can ask him if he still has any left. I think he still does.

On the springs settling. They won't settle very much at all unless you really do some hard wheeling.
How high did you twist your t-bars? I had mine at 1.75" and you couldn't tell the back was higher than the front.
a quater of an inch is not noticeable. If you can tell them you haven't torqued them high enough just ake sure you don't go too high in the front as to start binding your CV's

I got the front pretty close to the back now. Odd thing is the drivers side is about 1 turn away from being maxed out, drivers still has 4 threads showing. I'm thinking I'm gonna need to get a new one (may as well get both). I do have the B bars too. I didn't do any measurements so I can't say just how much I'm up, but it looks more than 2". It really looks great. Maybe I'll just turn the T-bars an extra 1/2 turn or so and see what happens. Thanx for the info on Mark Train. I'll give him a call real soon.

Originally posted by jwrezz
I got the front pretty close to the back now. Odd thing is the drivers side is about 1 turn away from being maxed out, drivers still has 4 threads showing. I'm thinking I'm gonna need to get a new one (may as well get both). I do have the B bars too. I didn't do any measurements so I can't say just how much I'm up, but it looks more than 2". It really looks great. Maybe I'll just turn the T-bars an extra 1/2 turn or so and see what happens. Thanx for the info on Mark Train. I'll give him a call real soon.

Was the emu spring just a direct replacement of the stock springs? Also, is it better to get the urethene bushings or use the stock rubber bushings. I'm planning to replace my monleaf with the emu. Also, how is the ride? DO you have pictures?

I think the mono spring may be different from the multi leaf springs. Mine was a direct replacement. The ride is much better. I'm sure due to the shocks as well as the springs. I love it. I'm about 2" higher, and hopefully more w/ the bigger tires, but it feels great. Turns, dips, bumps all handle better. I had some pics up, but couldn't get the links right. If I can fix it, I'll post it again (in the before and after section). But anyway, if you're looking to go only a couple of inches higher, and improve handling, these springs and the torsion twist are the way to go!

I have urethane on my sway bar. Have rubber on the rear springs. I'd say urethane all the way around would be the way to go, but others say that rubber on the OME's is preferred. Good luck,

The OME's will work on your Sport just fine. Tom Wilk has them on his sport. The reason that the stock rubber bushings are recommended is that the OME springs are a much more heavy duty spring. Putting poyl bushings would give it a much rougher ride, because they do not flex as much as rubber. I used the stock Ford bushings on my OME's and they rode pretty well.
My opinion is use the stock Ford bushings.

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
The OME's will work on your Sport just fine. Tom Wilk has them on his sport. The reason that the stock rubber bushings are recommended is that the OME springs are a much more heavy duty spring. Putting poyl bushings would give it a much rougher ride, because they do not flex as much as rubber. I used the stock Ford bushings on my OME's and they rode pretty well.
My opinion is use the stock Ford bushings.

Is it ok to use the old ones or do i have to get new ones from ford?

-Ray

Back