Getting Preventive Maintenance Done | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting Preventive Maintenance Done

rockwell5630

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLS
Over the six months of shuffling between school, work, and home took a toll on my Explorer. It now has 61k on it. While I have the money I want to get everything done and all the problems fixed before school starts again and I put another 15k mi in a year's time.

Here's what I am already going to do:

-replace rear coils/shocks
-replace headunit/speakers
-replace fuel filter
-replace spark plugs and spark plug wires
-replace front upper control arms/ball joints

Here's what I'm not so sure of:

Should I replace the front coils/shocks? They don't look nearly as bad the rear ones (cracked in many places) but they are going on 13 years old.

I replaced my diff fluid at 60k and I'm still getting the humming noise. It starts at around 20mph and gets louder and louder. I understand this could also be the rear hubs/bearings?

At slow speeds my front end squeals loudly while turning. I'm guessing front hubs/bearings?

Besides those problems I'm not sure of. Any other preventive maintenance I should do? I won't really have the time or money to be doing repairs during the school year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the hubs definitely needs to be changed (i was on my 3rd set) they cause those humming sounds that gets louder as you speed up.

upper ball joints needs to be replaced if they are cracked or worn. upper control arms probably not unless the bushings are bad or you just want to replace the whole set (with the ball joint)

plugs are ok until 100k, wires don't need changing unless they're broken. same with fuel filter.
not sure why you want to replace the front coil springs when they are not broken (mine is still ok, rears got replaced recently) head unit/speakers is really up to you.

the sway bar links get rusted and maybe a PITA to remove, that needs replacement too at this age.

cleaning the MAF and throttle body make sense and cheap. transfer case and front diff fluid change is also ok to do. same with transmission fluid and filter change.

----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

The hubs all around should be replaced right?

No 4WD so no transfer case and front diff for me thankfully. Tranny fluid/filter was on my list, just forgot to write it.

-replace fuel filter

Here's what I'm not so sure of:

Should I replace the front coils/shocks? They don't look nearly as bad the rear ones (cracked in many places) but they are going on 13 years old.

I replaced my diff fluid at 60k and I'm still getting the humming noise.

At slow speeds my front end squeals loudly while turning. I'm guessing front hubs/bearings?

Any other preventive maintenance I should do?.

-Replacing the fuel filter is not a bad idea if it is the original.
-On front, unbroken springs/struts, no need to replace unless the springs are broken and or the strut is leaking fluid.
-On the diff noise, some people in here from what I've read, said using "Royal Purple" diff fluid stopped or quieted down the rear diff humm noise. It is up to you if you want to try this.
-On the hubs/bearings, it is recommended by many in here, to get hubs that have "Timken" bearings in them. You can get them with lifetime warranties as well. They are made in the USA and considered the best bearings. My mechanic(30 years in the business) told me the same thing.
- You may also want to check or change your antifreeze, even though factory fluid is suppose to be good up to 100K. If yours is 13 years old?(you mean 10 years= 2002 XLS), I would change it just based on age, not the mileage (61K). It is cheap maintenance. Check hoses too.
-air filter check
-inspect serpentine belt
-agree with "Esclamada" on MAF and Throttle Body cleaning. Make sure to use the correct, specific spray cleaner for each device and follow the directions on the can. Sold in parts stores. for around $7 a can.
-Lubricate your door latches with WD-40, to help avoid those door ajar issues.

Now would be a good time to get the transmission fluid and filter replaced.

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-140 gear oil with Ford friction modifier and I'm still getting the humming noise. It doesn't even sound like the new oil helped at all. But people have told me the noise could be the rear wheel bearings. Especially if the noise gets louder as you go faster. Is this true?

The radiator was flushed about two years ago and has new coolant so that's fine.

For the new tranny fluid does the car have to be running to change it?

Back