Getting Rid of holes on rocker panels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting Rid of holes on rocker panels

OK so when I bought my xploder someone had already removed the tuberware leaving those unsightly molding holes behind. I have seen other members on here herculine them which didn't look all that bad but it wasn't for me. I needed something a little more factory looking. So I used some good ol' bondo.

A little step by step guide (sorry for not taking pictures during the process)
1. Slightly hammer the holes to concave them in.
2. Cut small pieces of body tape about the size of a nickel maybe a little larger to cover the holes.
3. prep area with mineral spirits or acetone.
4. apply bondo (I used the gold stuff it has less air bubbles than the regular) dont go overboard with it the more original body paneling you have the better.
5. Sand Sand and then Sand we used the jitterbug style sander.
6. apply primer to see how it looks. you may need a light layer of bondo after this or some more filler primer.
7. once your satisfied with it your ready for some paint.

Hear are some picks with it primed. It still needs some more sanding and a couple more coats of primer then it will be ready for some color.

IMGA0258.jpg

IMGA0259.jpg

IMGA0260.jpg

(Im also in the process of removing the door dong molding guard. that 3m tape sucks to get off)
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/cb0418d/IMGA0261.jpg?t=1239041189

IMGA0261.jpg

So let me know what you guys think. BTW I've gotten loads of info from this site, the search button is a blessing. This is my lil contribution, hope it helps someone out.

Oh and here is my other project, When I bought her she was fully stock ( that didnt last long) and yeah yeah I knows its a chevy.

100_0777.jpg

l_2eea35220e2eeb3b987d8c07020186b5.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

taping the backs of the holes will not yeld a reliable repair...

taping the backs of the holes will not yeld a reliable repair...

I didn't tape the back of the holes, the tape is on the front under the bondo. The tape is there so the bondo doesn't seep out through the back. The bondo is the primary form of repair the tape is just there to assist. The ideal way would have been to weld them but that was a little more involved than I wanted to go.

I <3 your monte carlo. i miss mine.

Thanks Man yea thats my baby, pretty much building her from the ground up. She's the "other woman" ;)

yes, but your "repair" wouldn't last one winter up here :thumbdwn:

if your going to do something, do it right the first time.

yes, but your "repair" wouldn't last one winter up here :thumbdwn:

if your going to do something, do it right the first time.

Good thing its A south Florida Rig then huh.

its also a bad thing that you are showing people a not so good way to fix it

Back