Getting used to a 'Truck' as a car owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting used to a 'Truck' as a car owner

UncleGiggles

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6V8
Anyone else in my position? I've only owned a 1990 Toyota Corolla 1.6L sedan 5spd, 1999 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.4L 5spd (modified), and a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged 2.0L 5spd (modified). All lightweight, front-wheel-drive, compact cars with manual transmissions that get 30+MPG.

I have driven trucks quite a lot (81 Chevy Suburban 2WD with a 'built' 350ci small block, 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 4.7L reg cab, 16ft Penske moving van, etc.) in my short lifetime and I've pulled large trailers with them, but I have never owned one and driven it daily like my "new" 04 Ex XLT 4x4. I find myself in a weird situation of being "The guy with the truck" and I still don't really know how to treat it.

I live at the end of a 1-lane country road with the Wilgreen Lake marina at the end of it so all week I'm constantly having to maneuver around huge duallie trucks towing boat trailers that are way too wide and they insist on doing 60mph on a 35mph road and they refuse to brake for me or scoot over the slightest bit. That was fine in all my small compact cars because they fit anywhere, braked fast, and were very maneuverable, but now I have a big-ish truck and it's terrifying. If I scoot over 2 inches farther than I already did in my compact cars I'd drop 2 wheels into a sharp downhill ditch with NO chance of recovery - and a fraction of a second later I'd plow the truck into at least a couple dozen trees and be deader than a doornail. It's either that or slam head-first into a RAM 3500 duallie pulling a bass boat that's more expensive than his doublewide. Hard to choose.

Anyone else in a similar position of having to get used to a truck? Or maybe past stories about how u did? I'd like to know that I'm not the only guy in the world having to do this :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went from a falcon (Rwd 4 door 4.0L sedan) to my Explorer, It took about a week to get used to and maybe 3 months to master (Drift around corners ect...) It felt massive on the road at first. Where I live it's single lane highway to most places which are full of pot holes.

I went from an explorer to a super duty. You think an explorers big/wide. I'm worried I'm going to take out my tow mirrors on opposing traffic and mailboxes on highways with out shoulders lol. Welcome to the site, in time you will become more comfortable with the size of the explorer.

I went from an explorer to a super duty. You think an explorers big/wide. I'm worried I'm going to take out my tow mirrors on opposing traffic and mailboxes on highways with out shoulders lol. Welcome to the site, in time you will become more comfortable with the size of the explorer.
I can imagine a Super duty being a handful. I feel better already :)

Ask for patrol cars and/or speed bumps.

Back