• Register Today It's free!

Gibson Vs. Flowmaster

TJM623

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Ok, So i'm going to be in the market for a new exhaust soon, I need a new muffler as mine is getting shotty, and figured why not get a good aftermarket. My question is for daily street driving, which company is gonna have the better system for me? I'd like to keep it to 1 pipe, I have the SOHC, which is better for me. I'd like some opinions thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's personal preference when you narrow it down to those two. Both are excellent exhaust manufacturers. Go with one that sounds best to YOU, and the one that fits your budget. I like my Flowie a lot. Many folks love Gibson. Can't go wrong with either.

get urself a FM 50 Suv series muffler.I have one with 2.5 inch piping on my OHV and its sweet. You have nice deep sound when on the gas, but hardly any sound when off the gas. Also it sounds like a mustang during cold starts =0)

if i went with gibson, what one would be best? The side swept? and stainless or aluminized or w.e same question for the flow i kno alotta people have forums about the flo's but i wanna hear some opinions for earlier model X's seeing as i don't have a brand new X i'm sure it'll sound a bit different

i have flowmaster 40 series and it sounds *****in, it has a nice deep tone,very loud under hard accleration

I know the side swept is the mellowist. I have it and it sounds great under acceleration and mellow at cruising. The dual straight back is louder and not recommended for towing. I have had several and like the side swept. These have been on astro's,sierra's and a dynamax on a sub (loud).

If you go FM, definitely go with a 40. My buddy has a 50 with a similar set up as my 40, and his sounds near stock.

Pahelo

well i'm looking for nice start up sound, and i really like to keep the RPM's under 3 while street driving for the sake of gas, highway is once in a while but i just would like a nice clean sound, so now with that said....Gibson or FM?? lol

Guys at Meineke here sell and install flomaster when I brought my gibson in to install they really wanted to hear it. After install the guy said he was ordering a gibson and talking his flomaster off. Pretty good testimonial I thought. Was quite a group of employees hanging out listening when they dropped it and fired it up. But like you said this is a 3rd gen with V8.

My Gibson arrived today, hope to have it installed tomorrow!!!

MonumentalX said:
Guys at Meineke here sell and install flomaster when I brought my gibson in to install they really wanted to hear it. After install the guy said he was ordering a gibson and talking his flomaster off. Pretty good testimonial I thought. Was quite a group of employees hanging out listening when they dropped it and fired it up. But like you said this is a 3rd gen with V8.

I think ya just sold me on Gibson 2 :thumbsup: what one did you have?

I have the straight out the back single,was only option for the V8. I have had 2 side swept and those were great. I don't know about the flo's but one nice comment I've heard about gibson is that while it sounds great outside it's not so loud inside. The dynamax I had you could barely hear yourself talk in the truck. When I had a gibson on my V6 it definetly made it sound more like a V8. All the 3 gibsons I've had have been right around $250 and $50-$60 for install. Not cheap but worth it. I'd install myself but I'd end up poking a hole in the gas tank or something,I'll stick to electronics!

Hey, you are my neighbor! I am in Bay Village.
Santa (my wife) bought me the stainless steel Gibson cat-back for my '97 4.0 SOHC. There is only one style (that I know of) that they offer for our truck. Dual in, single out. Straight out the back. Pretty much where the stock pipe ends up. Now you have a '98, may be different, but I wouldn't think so. The Gibson, I feel is much better quality then Flowmaster. After a real long time deciding and comparing the two. The Gibson cat-back is 2.5" with a thicker wall pipe then the 2.25" Flowmaster. And with the s.s., it is lifetime warrentee. Flowmaster is only one year! In my opion there is no comparison of the two. Mine sounds great!! I wanted something you could hear but, not over bearing inside. And, I don't know about the gas milage yet, but it sure feels a lot stronger. I also have the KKM intake. I like the set up.
Hope this helps and good luck!

yea B.V. isn't to far away, where'd you go get yours installed? and how much for installation? also did you buy it online and then take it to the shop?? Or did the shop have the gibson line in it?? and finally grand total?? I'm pretty sure the 98 would be identical, after all they are all 2 gens...

Power-usa.com is where I got mine. They were sugested personally by Gibson. And we were very happy with them. The S.S. was $345 with shipping. And I was going to install it myself, but didn't want to wait until spring so my local Tuffy shop do it for $50.
Hey, I noticed you were looking at the red Ford emblems. Ever find any at a reasonable price?

But which is quieter? I want to stay away from the interior drone.

Go with the Gibson side swept exhaust if you want a quieter one. I love mine.

I have dual chamber 2 flowmasters on my 01 Sport and it sounds hella loud and deep.

I dunno what series I got but I love the sound it makes. Almost everybody thinks I got an 8 cylinder even though my sport is the 4.0 sohc engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gibson has a nice sound w/o alot of interior drone. I love mine!

Back