Girl needs help getting spindle nut loose | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Girl needs help getting spindle nut loose

Post a link to the spindle nut you found at oriellys. My guess is that it is for a manual hub, not the auto hub.

This is what it should look like. (the side that goes to the bearing is up).
getimage.php

Dorman 13984 is the right one for an auto hub (above pic).

This one is the wrong one for automatic hubs.
getimage.php

I am assuming the tool you are using looks like this...
images

~Mark

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...&model=Explorer&vi=1119619&pt=01232&ppt=C0337

this is the nut from Oreily's.

And the tool is the same and it's on a size 1/2 inch wrench.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just upgraded my auto hubs to the warns...the nut on the pass side spun right off but I had to get a socket for the drivers side...the drivers side one spun right off with the socket though.

Anyways I still have the auto spindle nut, if you want it you can have it, assuming you want to pay for shipping and wait for it to ship from N. Cali.

That would be awesome as long as you can ship to Alaska. How much?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...&model=Explorer&vi=1119619&pt=01232&ppt=C0337

this is the nut from Oreily's.

And the tool is the same and it's on a size 1/2 inch wrench.

That is the right one.. Thats the Dorman 13984 I posted above too.

As for shipping..
If you guys/girl used a USPS Flat rate envelop or small box it is < $5 and it gets there in 3 days (even to Alaska) and the flat rate box/envelope is free. That would be cheaper than the one at Orielys.

~Mark

What do we do if this whole spindle/internal hub assembly is screwed up? We've called around @ local salvage yards, and the cheapest so far just for the spindle is $100. I know I can get it cheaper, but the people parting out their fords want either a tow or $200+ for the whole vehicle.

Wow, thats a lot. Around here they go for $50 or so. Even less at the u-pull it places. Also, Remember you can use a spindle from a 1991-1992 or 1993-1994. Basically, you only have RABS but you can the the spindle from the ones with front ABS too.

Also, have you checked car-part.com? I don't know where you are but There is a yard in Anchorage that has some for $50. The spindle fits in a flat rate box so its only $11 to ship.

~Mark

My brother-in-law got that stupid nut off! I don't know how, but he did! He said the previous owners completely ####ed it up beyond belief. It "most likely" needs a new spindle, and hopefully we can get our hands on one soon.

Congress on getting it off finally. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad.

I hope not either. We only paid $800 for it, but damn it seems like I've spent more than that alone on JUST the hubs.

I might be able to get ya one from u-pull around here, prolly be about 50 bucks shipped. I'd have to double check the price from u-pull here in Utah. LMK if interested via pm

Back