• Register Today It's free!

Glut of used cars ?

jnsnwt

Reaction score
City, State
Odessa, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT Sport, 5 Spd
Due to the recent months of "employee pricing" sales by all the major auto makers is there an over abundance of used cars ? Which means the price of used cars has dropped sigificantly ?

The reason I asked is the company I work for has offered to sell an '02
XLS Explorer w/126 miles to me for $4800 +TTL.

KBB and NADA both say it's worth over $9K.

Are there really that many used X's out there that the price has fallen by half ? Or have I missed the turn somewhere ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jnsnwt said:

The reason I asked is the company I work for has offered to sell an '02
XLS Explorer w/126 miles to me for $4800 +TTL.
......?

Do you mean 126,000 miles? Gas prices have as much to do with perceived value than anything else right now (IMHO). Don't know anything about the sales and sich. There are a lot of members here buying cheap (on gas) cars.

EDIT: Just though I should add - 126,000 miles is pretty high for an 02. Isnt average about 12-14K a year? Note: not everage for me. High mileage drops the value fast.

Also there are a bunch of "used vehicles" from LA , MS and TX out there now.

Brian B , you are correct I did mean 126,000 miles not 126

ALDIVE, nope, this is not a flood surplus special. This one has been here where I work since day one. I know how the fellow that drove it is about maintaining his equipment . That's the reason I was interested. I figure it's the pick of the litter.

That's what has me worried.
If it sounds too good to be true ...

get it scanned and make sure nothing is wrong. my 02 xls needed a the torque on demand module at 50k miles. maybe that vehicle has had it changed already..or doesn't have a problem. Just make sure..test the 4x4. Cruise control took a dive at 55k miles...

maybe my truck is cursed..

Good Luck.

Back