going for the gusto... | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going for the gusto...

its not that the 4wd wont work lowered more than 2", its the fact that it puts the 'shafts in a bind. any more than 2" and look at wearing them out a little quicker...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its ok for me, i lowered my ex cause i want it to be more sport than offroad, so i hardly use 4x4 unless it rains hard or snows, and even then its just the automatic 4x4.

when you lower the 4x4 ex wot do you do about the self levelling suspension? do you just switch it off and cope with the light on the dashboard?

i'm pretty sure i don't have a self leveling suspension. But if i'm correct, I believe it shouldn't affect it when you lower it. You just need to turn it off when you jack up your car. Verify that with someone else though, i can't find where i read it.

He probably has an eddie or limited with the air ride.

i get my explorer 2mro and i want to lower the front asap. from reading the posts on this topic is it just a case of jacking up the front and removing the torsion bar adjuster bolt from each side? does this mean that it will ride constantly on the bumpstops? plz reply cos i don't want to make a start until i know i'm doing the right thing.

well i wouldnt just remove the bolts. I would losen them untill there are only in by a few turns and take it out for a ride to let the suspension settle down. when you let if off the jack you wont notice any difference till you drive it around. taking them totally out will only give you about 1.5-2.5" of drop. it varies from X to X. it also might not sit straight with them both out. you might end up riding with one in a little more than the other to make it level. as for the bumpstops. when i took mine out i was on them. i took them off and cut them in half and now when i hit big bumps i hit them but its not that often. i also put the bolts back in a few turns.

Here is a really easy way.... take out both of your bolts. drive around the block for maybe 5 minutes to let the suspension settle. Now look at your bumbstops, if you are riding on them, remove the bumpstops and cut off maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of the rubber. now, if you aren't on the bumpstops, check and make sure each side is level. if one side is lower, you need to put that bolt back in a few turns. drive around again, and recheck your height. this is now as low as you can get the front without flipping over the actual torsion adjustor.

does any one know of some good shocks to use up front to help out with the bumps. im still riding on the OE shocks and its really time to replace them.

I am running Edelbrock ISAs for lowered Explorers on my lowered Explorer and they work flawlessly.

Good luck......

thos ias shocked are only shortened like 1 1/2 inches. that'd work for 2 inches of drop, but up front i have about 3 1/2 inches of drop. Do you guys know any good shocks i can get for up there? maybe something a little stiffer to help with handleing, but like the controlled stiffness of a sports car :)

aldive, how much did those shocks cost you and how long have you been driving with them? No problems I am assuming...

I wish I got the edelbrocks in the front. I have monroe reflex shocks and they work good in the back but I might eventually get a set of fronts from edelbrock to help out a little more.

Originally posted by RoadEnforcer
aldive, how much did those shocks cost you and how long have you been driving with them? No problems I am assuming...

Mine has been lowered and ISAed for about 5 months now; no troubles whatsoever.

See Dead Link Removed

ive got the Edelbrock's all the way around on mine, and i love them. i tried the VST's at first, and they just would not last longer than about 2 weeks. had the Ede's for a couple of months now, no problems. worth the $$$ IMHO.

i've been on the explorer express website and it says that an x with self levelling suspension can't be lowered unless the system is disabled. does this mean that i can just switch it off in the trunk or do i have to junk the whole system? is there any reason why i can't switch off the system, disconnect the air supply to the front shocks (i'm only lowering the front to begin with) do the adjustment on the adjuster bolts then connect it all back up again?

i've lowered the front about 1.5" and there has been no problems so far. the only thing i've noticed is that there is a fair bit of negative camber on the front wheels. is the camber adjustable on a '98?

Originally posted by tribal
. is the camber adjustable on a '98?

Not unless you purchase the adjustable cams.

Attachments

• lowadjcam.gif
    lowadjcam.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 692

... or take it to an alignment shop and they will install them when they do the alignment that you need to have done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a new 2002 Sport and want to lower it about 2/3" but don`t want ride harshness nor the lowrider bounce. will flipping the adjuster on the torsion bar put me on the bump stops? I also plan to modify my factory shocks by cutting down the lower mounting rod and welding it back up with a section of pipe for reinforcement(cut 3" off for a 3" drop). I also noticed very few with 20" rims, is this going to be a problem? I contacted ASA and they said they will fit with all the tire in the fender(hate the wide stance look). Thanks

Back