Going for the gusto! "I'm affraid" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going for the gusto! "I'm affraid"

High Flyer

Reaction score
City, State
Port Orchard WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer
Hello, Fairly new to this forum but I love it already. I have a 98 mountaineer and it has a leek in the heater core (I'm pretty sure). I'm think I'm ready to tackle this project with some of the previous posts I've read. I'm still a little confused about one thing though. Should I go ahead and do the (Dash removal) procedure to change the heater core, or is there a slightly easier way to go about it? I have also thought about cutting a hole in the box to see for sure if there is moisture in the heater core box first before tackling this project. I'm pretty sure that the core is the culprit because I can smell coolant when I turn on the fan. Thanks for your help.

OK, follow the procedure. Be sure to disconnect the battery. For room, I removed the center console and seats.
No need to dis assemble the steering colum though, remove it as a unit, being sure to disconnect all the connectors first-the air bag can stay put. I have no idea why they have you remove it from the wheel---:rolleyes:

Once you get into it, you will find a second set of nuts on the studs holding the hvac box to the firewall,under the hood, wedged in under the cover. Hard to explain and remove, I recommend gear wrenches for sure.
There is one hvac box bolt way the heck down there by the tramsmission, be sure you get all of them.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Thanks Turdle, I didn't realize this was going to be such a big job. I'm pretty comfortable with jobs this big but I also want to make sure I'm not doing it all for nothing if you know what I mean. So I have to remove the AC box as well Huh? Just by looking at it I didn't think it would need to come out. BTW, great idea about removing the seats and center console. I'm a big guy and that will be helpful.

Back