Good mods for low-end power on 2002 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Good mods for low-end power on 2002 Explorer?

vik912

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLT
Well, after spending a lot of money and time on my other cars, I finally decided its time to start modding my '02 Explorer again. I'd like to know everybody's opinion on what are some good bang for the buck mods that give good low-end power for the V6 2002 Explorer. I really just want to improve my 0-60 timing on the Explorer.

These are the current mods I have:
-Cold Air Intake
-Mass Airflow Sensor
-High Performance Spark Plugs
-Jet Power Module Chip (have had this for over a year now, but I still haven't installed it. Does anybody have any instructions on how to install it?)

I need new tires as well, so I will be getting those very soon, and that should help a little. So besides tires and headers (how much do headers + installation cost for the Explorer?), what are some good bang for the buck mods? Are there any companies that make performance pullies for the Explorer?

Another question, whenever I'm going at a low speed (10-25mph) or from a stop, and then slam the pedal all the way, I get a little hesistation for about 2-3 seconds (the slower I'm going the longer it takes), and then the power kicks in hard. Are the any mods that would give me power instantly, instead of having to wait for abou 2-3 seconds for it to kick in?

Thanks in advance,

Vik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if you are 2wd you'd might want to look into a limited slip and gears. Depending on what kind of ratio you have right now and if you have a v6, you might want to look into the 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 ratios. It will DEFILENTLY give some life to your pedal but your high end torque will stumble down some and your high speed will decrease (no more maxing out at 100+mph). I'm sure some more people will throw in their two cents about this thread.

-Drew

EDIT: about your 2-3 sec. waiting period - that is a common complaint with the computer control vehicles. When you slam the pedal it'll still be in the same gear, but when it sees that it needs more power it'll downshift (within 2-3 seconds) and will give you the power you need. It's your automatic transmission that's hesitating, but it's not a bad thing, it's just not in the gear it should be for that type of RPM/Torque. My greatest example could be on a manual -- you just get into 4th and then you step on it and not a lot of power -- thats when you throw it into 3rd and then your RPMs kick in and woo - let the race begin. Hope that helps somewhat.

You could get an SCT 4 program flasher. You could stroke the motor. Get a super charger. Build an exhaust system.

we have a stock explorer with 3.73 gears and i have gone over 100 in it....

jimabena74 said:
we have a stock explorer with 3.73 gears and i have gone over 100 in it....

were the 3.73 gears factory or did you put them in? If they were from the factory then yes, you could go over 100 because the computer and GEM is configured to those specs.

-Drew

Sorry about these noobish questions guys, but I just haven't studied much about the Explorers engine and performance mods. Right now my main project is my Nissan 350Z, which I know almost EVERYTHING about. I have been studying and modding that beast for over a year now :D .

ExplorerDMB said:
Well if you are 2wd you'd might want to look into a limited slip and gears. Depending on what kind of ratio you have right now and if you have a v6, you might want to look into the 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 ratios. It will DEFILENTLY give some life to your pedal but your high end torque will stumble down some and your high speed will decrease (no more maxing out at 100+mph). I'm sure some more people will throw in their two cents about this thread.

-Drew

EDIT: about your 2-3 sec. waiting period - that is a common complaint with the computer control vehicles. When you slam the pedal it'll still be in the same gear, but when it sees that it needs more power it'll downshift (within 2-3 seconds) and will give you the power you need. It's your automatic transmission that's hesitating, but it's not a bad thing, it's just not in the gear it should be for that type of RPM/Torque. My greatest example could be on a manual -- you just get into 4th and then you step on it and not a lot of power -- thats when you throw it into 3rd and then your RPMs kick in and woo - let the race begin. Hope that helps somewhat.

Yes, I have a 2wd, it is a V6. Do you know which companies make the limited slip and gear? Price?

About the lag time, I figured when I was at a roll then it was just until the car downshifted, I just didn't expect it to take that long... I guess I'm just used to my 350Z, which is a manual trans and I get instant power there because I downshift and then slam it...

Also, do you have any idea why limited slip and gears would give me a loss at the top end? I know comparing a Nissan 350Z to a Ford Explorer is like comparing apples and oranges, but I have never heard of anyone loosing top end power after changing limited slip and gears in their 350Z. I wouldn't want to take the Explorer over 120mph, but I would like to be able to get to 120 every now and then if I need to.

You could get an SCT 4 program flasher. You could stroke the motor. Get a super charger. Build an exhaust system.

Could you explain to me what the SCT 4 program flasher is, what exactly it does, and how it works? Also, any idea on the price and installation difficulty?

I actually thought about getting a supercharger, but after talking to some experienced shops that build up cars (including the shop that did the twin turbo on my 350Z), I have found out that I can fit an 03-04 Mustang Cobra engine in the explorer, of course I would have to pretty much make everything custom around the engine, but there is enough space and it should be able to bolt right up for the most part (after I change a few minor things). So I have been thinking about making the Explorer my next project car in about 1-2 years after I finish my current project car which is a Nissan 350Z. I think it would be truly unique to have a Explorer with a Cobra engine, and that is what I want to do with my project cars, make them unique.

But for now, I am just looking for some simple mods that will increase the performance a little.

Thanks for the tips guys, and keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

Vik

vik912 said:
Yes, I have a 2wd, it is a V6. Do you know which companies make the limited slip and gear? Price?

Also, do you have any idea why limited slip and gears would give me a loss at the top end? I know comparing a Nissan 350Z to a Ford Explorer is like comparing apples and oranges, but I have never heard of anyone loosing top end power after changing limited slip and gears in their 350Z. I wouldn't want to take the Explorer over 120mph, but I would like to be able to get to 120 every now and then if I need to.

Vik

My limited slip is a Ford Racing LSD. Some people say to stay away from the stock factory ford LSDs, but the Ford Racing is totally different. LSDs can cost from 250-350 and the gears will cost about 200. You will have to figure out what exact application works for yours. I never heard of anyone saying the Independent rear of the new Explorers is a 8.8" or not.

Reason for losing the top end power is cause you basically won't have the "gear" for it. The best way to describe it is like Nascar. If they are going to be at a long track - you put in a high ratio (3.08:1) so you will run less RPMs. It'll take you a long time to get up to speed, but you'll be able to last longer fuel wise. If you are on a short track - you will put in a low ratio (4.10:1) so you can get out of the corners quicker. Hope this helps.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
My limited slip is a Ford Racing LSD. Some people say to stay away from the stock factory ford LSDs, but the Ford Racing is totally different. LSDs can cost from 250-350 and the gears will cost about 200. You will have to figure out what exact application works for yours. I never heard of anyone saying the Independent rear of the new Explorers is a 8.8" or not.

Reason for losing the top end power is cause you basically won't have the "gear" for it. The best way to describe it is like Nascar. If they are going to be at a long track - you put in a high ratio (3.08:1) so you will run less RPMs. It'll take you a long time to get up to speed, but you'll be able to last longer fuel wise. If you are on a short track - you will put in a low ratio (4.10:1) so you can get out of the corners quicker. Hope this helps.

-Drew

I think I see what you're saying. What is your current top speed? I will look into the LSD's and do some research on it.

Also, is anybody familiar with the JET Power Modules? I have bought one over a year ago, but I never took the time to install it. In the instructions it says: "Plugs in easily into the existing service port on the factory computer. Can be done in less than fifteen minutes." Now I remember when I opened up the box where the factory comp is, there were about 3 ports (I think), so does anybody know in which one I need to plug it in?
Here's the link to the Jet Power Module:
http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?productID=642376

Vik

well I have a real low ratio - so my top speed wouldn't be as high as yours. I would guess that you're top speed would be around 100 -- not 100+ like stock!

-Drew

Another quick question, how safe are the Superchargers on an Explorer? I tried doing a search for supercharger here on the forums, but I didn't find any very useful threads on it. Has anybody ever blown an engine with a Supercharger? And whats the stock boost and whats the highest boost u can go to without having to worry about damaging the internals?

I have looked into superchargers for the explorer and have found them decently priced, so I am now actually thinking about getting a supercharger until I get a Cobra engine swap in about 1-2 years. Also, I only found superchargers for the V8 explorer, are there any for the V6? And what are some of the best companies that make superchargers for the Explorer?

Thanks in advance,

Vik

There's actually a handfull or so people that have supercharged their 4.0 sucessfully using the x-charger from explorer express. (site I posted earlier) I think the boost for that particular s/c is 4-6 psi max, which really isn't a whole lot.

Everytime someone says they already have a jet chip and looking for more power, people always tell them to toss it and get an SCT flasher. (no personal experience with either however)

I would not even bother instaling your jet chip.
It is easy but not worth it.

Contact Doug at Bama chips and get one of his flashers.
You just plug that into your DLC ( OBD II port ) and push a few buttons.
Quick, easy, painless and his stuff will WAY out perform the Jet stuff.

3.73s, how fast do you wanna go?:)

Attachments

• Mvc-015s.jpg
    Mvc-015s.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 278

spindlecone said:
3.73s, how fast do you wanna go?:)

Great, just what I wanted to see!!! With the Explorer I wouldn't want to go over a 120-130mph anyways. Going anything over 110mph in an SUV is not a great idea lol. However, I would like to take it up to about 120mph when needed.

Which brand did u go with for the limited slip and gears?

Vik

I don't believe you can use a chip on the '02 Explorers. The computer doesn't have the connector to support it. So I would look into a Flasher from one of the company's that support this site. I don't think gearing is going to produce the type of "power" you want. Seems like wasted money to me.

IAmTodd said:
I don't believe you can use a chip on the '02 Explorers. The computer doesn't have the connector to support it. So I would look into a Flasher from one of the company's that support this site. I don't think gearing is going to produce the type of "power" you want. Seems like wasted money to me.
Had an Apten in my 03, plug and play

'02+ 4 Doors have a different ECM.

IAmTodd said:
'02+ 4 Doors have a different ECM.
You may be correct, I have four doors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

vik912 said:
Great, just what I wanted to see!!! With the Explorer I wouldn't want to go over a 120-130mph anyways. Going anything over 110mph in an SUV is not a great idea lol. However, I would like to take it up to about 120mph when needed.

Which brand did u go with for the limited slip and gears?

Vik
Vik
Just to elude, to drive any suv at a high speed is insane, they are not road cars, have had my wifes M6 beemer up to 150, but that is what it is made for.
Have had my EX up to 124 MPH granted.
Call me stupid, but, the road ahead was clear, the weather was perfect, not a car to be seen in front or behind, my driver decided to go for it.
A tire blowout, a glitch in the road, we could have been dogmeat.Read on

Thank God the Ex was strapped to a Dyno :D

Back