good trans cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

good trans cooler?

I recently bought a small boat that I am towing with my ex which has the 4.0 OHV. I also have a small personal plow that I will be putting on my ex. I want to get a good transmission cooler to help protect my ex both while towing the boat now and while plowing later. I have been towing without an issue for most of the summer as the trailer and boat are light, but I really want it for the plowing. I have been searching but there are so many different coolers that I don't know what to get. Can I get some suggestions on which trans cooler I should get for medium to heavy duty applications? Thanks.

PS I don't know which trans I have but its a 1996 X with the 4.0 OHV and it is automatic. Also would this be hard to install myself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to the junk yard and yank one from a 2nd generation Explorer (or you can get one on Ebay). But dont use the cooler from a 1st generation Explorer because those are significantly thinner.

If you decide to go with a used cooler just be sure to flush it out with a tranny cooler cleaning spray.

aldive, I am planning on putting a temp gauge in when I install the filter, And also I just had my transmission fluid flushed about 4000 miles ago with mercon V and a new filter and gasket, so im hoping that will be good for awhile?

Izwack, Is the trans cooler from a stock gen 2 going to be strong enough for my needs? I have a junkyard 5 minutes from my school so that would be great and cheap if it will work for me. Thanks!

Izwack, Is the trans cooler from a stock gen 2 going to be strong enough for my needs?
Yup yup, that is cooler that came with the 2nd gen Explorers with the "tow package" (the cooler later became a stock unit for all 2nd gens even those w/o a "tow package"). I mean if you're really worried, yank two of them from the junk yard ;)

I have the stock cooler plus a large B & M stacked plate cooler. The aftermarket coolers are much better than the small stock one.

When it comes to trannys, the cooler the better.

Back