Goodbye Torsion Bars | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodbye Torsion Bars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ill be doing mine withing the next few weeks finally.

What coil over and spring combo are you going with?
I am interested in what I would need for my 95 4 door 4.0.

Is it necessary to go with a reservoir shock?

No you dont have to go with a resi shock. A fox or radflo emulsion 6" or 8" coilover shocks. For springs its probably best to get some dual rate spring harware and run a 10" spring with a 4" tender spring. You need at least a 750 or 800 pnd spring rate to get a good ride height and not have the spring start to sag out very fast.

For springs its probably best to get some dual rate spring harware and run a 10" spring with a 4" tender spring. You need at least a 750 or 800 pnd spring rate to get a good ride height and not have the spring start to sag out very fast.

So no resi shock and dual springs...
where would one find this "dual rate spring" hardware? link?

..also " 750 or 800 pnd spring rate"
so does that mean I can get a 500lb 10" and 300lb 4" or any combo adding up to 800? Sorry for all the questions..thanks for your help!

So no resi shock and dual springs...
where would one find this "dual rate spring" hardware? link?

..also " 750 or 800 pnd spring rate"
so does that mean I can get a 500lb 10" and 300lb 4" or any combo adding up to 800? Sorry for all the questions..thanks for your help!

No you can not add a 500+300 does not =800, there is a certain calculation for the dual spring rate....check out foa spring rate calculator or talk to sunny at downsouthmotorsports.com or you can check out the coil-over conversion thread. You will find everything you need there and plus my writeup as soon as I finish. I am probably going to go to a dual rate to see if this helps with the saging of the front. Here is the link to the other thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186393

A quick note on the shock with res: I was told that mixing nitrogen and oil together in a emultion shock is not the best combination. If you separate the nitrogen with the res it allow for a much better functioning shock.

CMAX~

No you dont have to go with a resi shock. A fox or radflo emulsion 6" or 8" coilover shocks. For springs its probably best to get some dual rate spring harware and run a 10" spring with a 4" tender spring. You need at least a 750 or 800 pnd spring rate to get a good ride height and not have the spring start to sag out very fast.

actually you'd want a 6" tender..i'm sure that was just a type o sean :p: you want the total spring length to be double the travel of the shock..so if you run a 6" travel c/o shock you would run ONE 12" spring, if you go 8" then run a 10" main, 6" tender combo...the calculated spring rate is as follows: (spring rate one x spring rate two)/(spring rate one + spring rate two)= cmb. spring rate(lb/in)
and an emulsion shock is fine if you want to save a couple bucks..unless you're driving it in baja you're probably not going to use the shock to it's full potential and fade it out...

no there is not
This thread is 10+ years old

Agreed!!!

Back