Got a ride in Troll's SuperXplorer today | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a ride in Troll's SuperXplorer today

QuadCam

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V8 AWD Limited
WHAT A MONSTER!!!!!

I have a 10 second mustang. I've driven other 10 and 11 sec mustangs. I've riden in 9, 10 , and 11 sec mustangs........

but TROLL has one BAD ride!!!!!!

It is easily as hairy on the street as my mustang is. Because Troll wanted to keep the rpms low for his engine combo, he has probably traded some top end horsepower for massive amounts of TORQUE.

From a dead stop, Troll punched the throttle. The initial response was......a mild kick, then a slight bog......, and then total and complete anihilation of the 275/55/17s. As the tach almost twisted the needle off of the gauge, the tranny shifted into second. when the tranny shifted into second, the engine seemed to bog slightly. (The stock computer seems lost trying to keep up. The computer seems like it is pulling out alot of degrees of timing during the shifts.) Because of the bog, the tires caught some grip. Immediately after the tires caught, the Blown 347 torched the tires again. Troll stayed in the throttle until the top of second gear. Then he let off. (the tires must have thanked him for that kind gesture!)

Needless to say, the ass of the explorer was hangin' out the whole time. It was kinda like running across a hockey rink in your shoes. You can kind of direct where you want to go, but you are realy along for a ride.

I'm used to these kind of experiences in my mustang, but it is a completely different kind of thrill in a 4600 pound explorer. There is far more body roll and sway as the tires claw the pavement for grip, while the ass is wandering back and forth. The wierd part about the whole thing is that you are up high and comfy. In a sports car, you are low and cramped. It's strange.

Riding in Troll's explorer is like being on a nitromethane-burning, flame-throwing, 1/4 miling sofa!!!!

Thanks for the ride!!!

Andrew

p.s. i'd love to feel his powerplant with my AWD system.

[Edited by QuadCam on 10-10-2000 at 08:22 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pretty scarey. do you think it is capible of a sub 12 quater mile blast when running right based on how fast is was running. can you think about how much resposibility it take to drive a truck like that every day slow. i have not heard of troll complaining about speeding tickets yet. he needs a good laser dectector to avoid tickets.

Troll, How much $ do you think you have put into the engine of your explorer? I am planning on doing something similar to you w/ my 2001 Sport Trac.

Money

I have put probably $30,000 into my car since I got it in 1996. Right now I have about $25,000 in the car you see today. If you are serious about builing a motor for your explorer I will help you not make the same mistakes I have made.
Troll

you can easly avoid troll mistakes by not buying the best of every thing. you can of course cut corners her and there and come out with a pretty nice truck. troll's explorer is a little on the excesive side as far as trucks come.some day i will post how the whole thing got started and the resomes behinde troll crazey truck.

wow.

I thought some of you guys would be interested in hearing a testimonial on Troll's explorer.

Aren't some of you guys trying to make your explorers quicker?

I'd love for my explorer to be as powerful as his. How about you guys?

anyone? anyone?

Andrew

I'd love to have one that could beat troll! but it's not gonna happen with my finacial status...
I wish at one point it's as fast as his though...
pete

Honestly though is there not one single slip or time that you may have for your truck.... It may not be the best since you have some kinks to work out in your truck, but it looks like you have already taken your truck down to the track.... pictures are on your website.

heyo,
troll, i sent you an e-mail thru the website, but it got returned to me. my question was about your hood. just how exactly did you custom fab it?? was it hard to do? hmm, could you maybe do me one for some $$$?? either that or just help me out, please go in detail, i'm open to ideas, but your hood is almost exactly what i wanted. i didn't feel like grafting a hot rod 2" cowl on my stock hood or going and getting the explorer express k-mart blue light special hood blister made out of tupperware that they sell for $500....ya kno??
anyway, you (or any of you guys just wanting to chat) can always feel free to e-mail me instead of posting or both hott2death69@yahoo.com thanx guys.........

Hott2death69,
I am happy you like my hood. It was very expensive because I had to buy a 98 cobra hood, a 96 explorer hood, and then pay my body shop guy to mold them together. It was $1000 at my price. I guess I could ask him to do some more if you really wanted me to. The only thing is you would have to have a paint shop match the color of your car to the hood because you probly don't live in Miami Fl like me and without your car I could not get the color exactly right. Also if anybody else wants a hood I may be able to do a run of a bunch of them. I think my email at my company is up now so you can go to my website and email me from there.
http://www.speedfreak.cc/
Troll

dang!

I saw the video and now have read the reports! All I gotta say is cool man! :) I will someday be putting a 302/5.0 in my Explorer and I will probably stroke it out. But mine is not going to be modded for the street it will be for off-road primarly. However it will come in handy when I pull up next to a ricer and gun the engine some and just pop the clutch and let all hell break loose. :) LOL Anyways good job on the Explorer and keep up the good work.

The bit of info I don't think I have seen yet is whats in the rear end of that thing? What gears locker, limited slip, spool? Is the 8.8 holding up well to that sort of power so far? Do you get axle wrap even though you are SUA?

Looks pretty dang cool! A nice sleeper thats for sure!

I can answer some of that for Troll.

I know, for sure, that he has 3.55 gears. I am pretty sure that he put moser 31 spilne axles in the housing. I'm not sure what differential he has(probably an Auburn.)

Finally, an 8.8 can be made strong enough for an 8 second mustang.

he on the 8.8 aels my budt has a 460 and in 88 mustang all done up and it works fine.

Back