• Register Today It's free!

This doesn't make any sense!!!!!

QuadCam

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V8 AWD Limited
I am puchasing a 1996 V8 AWD Black Limited Explorer at the end of this week. While getting ready to buy this truck, I decided to pick up some magazines and see what kind of aftermarket parts are available.

It is so sad. The explorer is the best selling SUV on the market, and they don't make squat for it!!!!

The only nice body kit is the Saleen kit, and they want $2600 for it. NO WAY.

Explorer express has some nice parts, but their selection is pretty limited.

To top it all off, I can't believe how few people on this message board have modified their 5.0s. The 5.0 has more aftermarket products for it than any other engine. The only person that I have read about who has put some serious power into thier explorer is TROLL. Is no one else interested in power and acceleration. Granted, Troll's explorer is out of reach for most people; I haven't even read any posts from guys doing gear swaps. That is the quickest and easiest way to lower your 0-60.

I didn't mean to rant. I guess I am just used to people who like drag racing. Either I must have spent too much time with my mustang, or most explorer "sport trucks" aren't that sporty.

ducking from the flames,

Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't worry, we understand completely! There is a severe lack of attention in the off-road world for the Explorer. Just ask anyone who wanted that 4" Trailmaster lift that was supposed to come out in the summer...of 1999.

Modification-wise, you're lucky...with the 5.0, you've got (literally) warehouses of parts that you can bolt onto the engine. But you know that already (you said you had a Mustang, so I assume you have experience with the 5.0).

Body kit-wise...can't help you there. All I know of is Explorer Express and Saleen. You could get something custom-built at a local shop, but that's gonna be a wee bit on the expensive side.

I guess the lack of 5.0 modification on this board is evidence that it attracts more off-roaders than hot rods.

Anyways, welcome to the board! You should find it pretty resourceful for any info on the Explorer.

Hmmm... well, I changed the gears in mine. Went from 3.73 to 3.08. Didn't help the 0-60 time any, but it's a sweet cruiser @ 75, pulling down an honest 20 mpg.

The only add'l mods I'm making to mine are the Motorsport headers, a shift kit (not sure which one yet), and the Explorer Express sway bar kit. It's never going to be a rocket; it's too damn heavy (your AWD will be even worse). Remember, 5.0 liters is only 302 cubic inches (well, it's actually 305, but then we'd be talking about 4.9s and that's another story). And it's not going to be a canyon carver, 'cause the frame's a flexy flyer.

I've had a couple 5.0 Mustangs and a Mark VII LSC, plus this thing. All the same engine, with minor variations, but they all work differently. For what it is, the V8 Explorer works pretty well.

Pete

There was a thread a little while ago that had a link to an inexpensive body kit. I forgot the name of the thread, but do a search for ground effects or something.

First off,

Thank you to the guys who replied.

What I find so frustrating is that I'd like to make my explorer look pretty tough and act tough. I used to have a '93 GMC Typhoon; That was a cool SUV, but it had alot of quality problems. It was basically a GM parts-bin car.

The aftremarket parts that really seem to be missing for the explorer are some nice looking -lighweight fiberglass hoods and some affordable,good-looking alternatives to the Saleen body.

Speaking of hoods and front bumpers....do the parts made for Rangers fit on the Explorer?

Thanks again,

Andrew

I think Ranger bumpers fit up to 98 Explorers. I don't know if Ranger hoods fit 95+ Explorers, though.

Explorer express has some nice parts, but their selection is pretty limited.

You may want to check their printed catalogue. It has more items than their online catalogue. Send them an email.

It is so sad. The explorer is the best selling SUV on the market, and they don't make squat for it!!!!

Actually there's a plenty of off-road aftermarket parts offered for the Explorer. We just don't really have a lot of choices to obtain more power from our engines. There is not a lot of aftermarket support for the 4.0 OHV and 4.0 SOHC.

most explorer "sport trucks" aren't that sporty.

Funny you mentioned this. I've always wondered why Ford called the Explorer Sport a Sport when everything has to come at an extra cost. The sport package is not standard. For example, 16" wheels is an extra cost. In my opinion, the Explorer Sport should have the sport package as a standard equiptment to live up to it's name -Explorer Sport.

I haven't even read any posts from guys doing gear swaps. That is the quickest and easiest way to lower your 0-60.

Since you said that you are an owner of a Mustang (I assume it is a 5.0), maybe you can help me with my question. I want to improve my truck's acceleration and at the same time not hurt my top end and gas mileage. What would be your recommendation? Thanks!

n2knee,

Thanks for the reply.

I have had 2 mustangs. I had a '94 gt convertible (5.0), and I currently own a '96 Cobra (32V 4.6). I did alot of modifications to both of them. I went a little over board with the cobra though. It has 650-700 hp. The only reason that it doesn;t have more is because the Vortech S-trim is maxed out. A Novi 2000 or Vortech YS-trim would let me find the upper limits of the block (850 - 1000 hp.)

Getting back to your question regarding gas mileage/top end/acceleration......a gear swap to a shorter (higher nemerically) gear set will give you a big increase in your acceleration (especially off the line), but your gas mileage will only suffer slightly.It is definatley a worthy trade-off. Your top speed will be theoretically lowered, but because the explorers have speed governors, the gear change should not affect your top speed. Make sure you get the correct speedometer gear to go with your new gear set.

An example of a gear change that helped acceleration and top speed at the same time is that of John Buscema. This guy runs his Cobra in the Silver State Classic (90 mile High speed race on a Nevada Highway.) A couple of years ago, he took his stock engined cobra (plus a blower and offroad x-pipe)to this race. With 4.10 gears (3.27 are stock), he hit a top speed of over 175 mph. If he had his stock 3.27 gears, the cobra would not have been able to pull to top speed in 5th gear. the mechanical advantage of the 4.10 gears alowed it to pull to the highest speed.

good luck,

Andrew

Andrew, thank you for your reply.

Hey QuadCam, thats some serious HP in your Cobra. If you dont mind me asking, what kind of mods did you do? I know a stock cobra has 320 hp so you must have added some major bolt ons and some internal work.

Joe,

You are right. I did have to add major bolt-on and internal work. Here' the list:

Forged Wiseco Low-compression pistons
Manley Forged Billet Rods
Ford Forged Steel Crank
High flow oil pump
ARP main studs
ARP head studs
Billet Aluminum Main Cap Girdle
Fully ported heads (305 cfm intake/250 cfm exhaust)
Custom Blower Cams
Ported SVO IMRC plates
POrted Intake Manifold
HIgh Flow Billet Fuel Rails
Custom 1.75 -1.875 long tube step headers w/ 3" merge collectors
Custom mandrel bend 3" x-pipe w/ 3" ultraflows and dumps
Vortech S-trim (w/ impeller upgrade)
High flow inlet and outlet powerpipes for the blower
Professionally assembled by Ronnie Crawford (the man who created the 347 stroker for the ford 302)
Chrome plated valve cover and manifold cover (no pwer, butlooks nice)

I'm sure I forgot some stuff, but that gives you a pretty good idea.
To give you an idea of what kind of power it made, it would break the tires loose and spin wildly even when I was going 80 mph and punched it.(and I had 315/35/17s on the back)

cya later ,
Andrew

PICS PLEASE!!!!

Hey Andrew, got any pics of that rig? I would love to see some. Please post a link to any pics you may have. Thanks man!

here ya go,

http://www.gate.net/~aharper/akh/home.html

I haven't updated the site in over a year. The dyno graph is from the cobra engine, but it was before I upgaded the blower, and before I had the heads and intake ported.

Hopefully soon, I'll pics of an explorer on there. I might be pickin git up tomorrow.

bye,

Andrew

bring-it.jpg

[Edited by QuadCam on 09-28-2000 at 07:02 AM]

Quad Cam -
Do you have the stock exhaust on the Cobra?

no.

I have custom made step headers. they increase in size from 1.75" primaries to 1.875" primaries. The header tubes are meet up at a 3" merge collector. The headers are ceramic coated inside and out.
After the headers, there is a dual 3" mandrel bent tangential-merge crossover pipe (similar to nascar.) At the end of the crossover pipe, I have 3" dynomax ultraflow mufflers welded on.
the car has no tailpipes. there are turndowns (aka dumps) right after the mufflers.

It truly sounds incredible!!! not like a typical mustang. It has a high pitched scream at wide open throttle. I only turn the engine to 7500 rpm, but the exhaust makes it sound like 10,000.

QuadCam, do visit other boards such as ls1.com, blueovalnews.com, etc....? I checked your site and noticed the word VOBRA. That word sounds familiar to me. Beefcake who also owns a heavily modified 1999 Cobra (more than 450 rwhp) runs in the 11s. A car such as yours should easily break in the 9s with slicks. Way to go!!!!

I used to go to ls1.com to read the kill stories. They are always pretty good. They used to always get into some great flame wars on ls1.com with the mitsu eclipse guys.

Again, I used to go to blueovalnews.com all the time too.

Now, I pretty much reead the stuff on the corral.net or on the NMRA board.. Dead Link Removed

Mostly, I don't post to much on message boards, but there is so much that I don;t know about the explorers. I need to start asking some more questions about the suspensions, wheels/tires, etc.

do you guys know of any great links or pictures of other explorer street trucks?
please, no pictures of explorers with wire wheeels!!!

cya later,

Andrew

Back