got body lift, tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got body lift, tires?

4dlover

Reaction score
City, State
burlington,iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
I got my body lift from summit, but i am wondering if i should wait and get the spacers on and the body lift at the same time, or can i squeeze 285 75 16 in there until i get the spacers on? i just dont want to buy two sets of tires!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would wait until you at least get the spacers or body lift on. You're going to have a hella bad amount of rubbing if you throw 285's on stock.

spacers

could i maybe just run like a 1 and 1/2 in spacer up front and none in the back and whaat size spacers i have one inchers and dont wanna cut all the lugs off to fit them ! thanks guys

Any spacer under 2.25" is going to require you to cut the studs.

I would recommend a 1.25" in the front and a 1" at most in the back (or none at all). Any taller than that and you're going to start having suspension parts rubbing together when you flex it out.

Anyway with those and the 3" body lift you'd get about 5" of lift, not including the ground clearance you get from the 285s. Should look really good.

wheel spacers

well i got one inch wheel spacers and was planning on reusing my stock wheels, but the spacers are one inch and i have to cut my wheel studs to fit them and dont know if i really want to do that i am also trying to find tires and am undecided think i might just stay with the 31s since a gear change is not gonna happen and the truck jumps in and out of OD on hills unless i go 75 or more.

wheel spacers

i bought one inch wheel spacers and factory wheels are flat on the back so in order to fit them the studs on the truck have to be cut as they are longer than one inch

i bought one inch wheel spacers and factory wheels are flat on the back so in order to fit them the studs on the truck have to be cut as they are longer than one inch

Oh ok I gotcha now.

When I was talking about cutting off studs I meant the ones on top of the struts! lol

question

looks like tire prices are going up in january so i am gonna try and get em on there before christmas would like mts but dont know if they will be worth it as i am gonna drive to moab next easster and i would like to hear the radio on the way lol

You might look into Treadwright Guard Dog MTs. I've been running a set of them for a couple of months now and they've been great offroad. Onroad they are not very loud especially after you've put a couple hundred miles on them...nothing that a radio wouldn't easily cover up. They balanced well. Plus the price is hard to beat:

https://www.treadwright.com/p-71-265-75r16-guard-dog-m-t-c.aspx

You might look into Treadwright Guard Dog MTs. I've been running a set of them for a couple of months now and they've been great offroad. Onroad they are not very loud especially after you've put a couple hundred miles on them...nothing that a radio wouldn't easily cover up. They balanced well. Plus the price is hard to beat:

https://www.treadwright.com/p-71-265-75r16-guard-dog-m-t-c.aspx

X2 they are amazing...While technically a m/t they are more of a hybrid mt/at
Plus its difficult to find a 265 in a C ply (6 instead of e which is 10= smoother ride+lighter)
Customer service sold me. One of the best companies I've ever dealt with

Back