Got dimming, Big 3 already done, next step = new battery? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got dimming, Big 3 already done, next step = new battery?

BobbyBobo

Reaction score
I've got a '04 Explorer with the 4.6 and I believe 130A alternator. The battery that's in it is a 670 cca, which I believe is smaller than what it came with from the factory.

I've added a decent amount of wattage with after market stereo, and I have dimming. I have done the Big 3 with 0 gauge. My V at the sub amp goes down from 14.1-14.2 to the lowest of 12.8. The gains on the sub amp were set with a Fluke DMM, and are lower than I want them to be (didn't push it with the dimming).

So, next thing to upgrade after the Big 3 is battery, right? Any recommendations? I'm thinking bigger is better...anyone tried to stuff a bigger than stock battery under the hood?

Am I off in thinking to upgrade the battery first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If all the connections for the "Big 3" are done properly, then it is either the battery or your alternator going bad.

Most parts stores will do free battery and alternator checks for you.

I actually am leaning more towards the fact that the alternator cannot keep up with producing the power needed.

Maybe consider changing it to a higher amp alternator and add a second battery for safety/security.

Good point, I should get the battery and alt checked out first. This system is probably pushing less than 2000w total, I thought stock stuff would be ok.

I've been searching for alternators. Some are pretty expensive (Mechman), and some either don't have many reviews or some bad reviews.

I'm hoping I can save space and stay with one battery, although it looks like the 2nd battery option seems popular.

Its better to run your system off a second battery. You will notice a huge difference quality wise.

A bigger battery would help for sure, but my guess is your alternator is starting to poop out. I had to replace the alt in my 03 at about 110k miles.

what amp do you have?? also do you have a amp for the doors and one for the sub???

what amp do you have?? also do you have a amp for the doors and one for the sub???

2 sub amps strapped, and 1 for the highs.

2 class D APSM-1500's running a total 4 ohm load, so each amp sees 2 ohms. Saw a vid where a guy benched this amp and got 850W at 2 ohm with 80% efficiency. So I set gains with my Fluke DMM to 1700W (850 x 2). I thought 80% efficiency was decent.

4 door speakers are off a class A/B Cadence TXA3004. 75 x 4 at 4 ohm, but the fronts could be pushing a bit more like 100 or so since the front speakers are closer to a 2 ohm load.

Haven't had time to get to Autozone to get the battery and alt checked, hopefully next week I'll have time. I thought instead of the hassle of two batteries, I could try to fit in a bigger one, like a DieHard group 31M with 1150 CCA and 100 amp/hr rating. Just a thought.

2 sub amps strapped, and 1 for the highs.

2 class D APSM-1500's running a total 4 ohm load, so each amp sees 2 ohms. Saw a vid where a guy benched this amp and got 850W at 2 ohm with 80% efficiency. So I set gains with my Fluke DMM to 1700W (850 x 2). I thought 80% efficiency was decent.

4 door speakers are off a class A/B Cadence TXA3004. 75 x 4 at 4 ohm, but the fronts could be pushing a bit more like 100 or so since the front speakers are closer to a 2 ohm load.

Haven't had time to get to Autozone to get the battery and alt checked, hopefully next week I'll have time. I thought instead of the hassle of two batteries, I could try to fit in a bigger one, like a DieHard group 31M with 1150 CCA and 100 amp/hr rating. Just a thought.

There's the problem. You're running too much for the stock alternator and battery.

Change the alt to a higher voltage one, and add another battery.

Back