got it out of storage & did a few things to get ready for winter (got a few ?'s) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got it out of storage & did a few things to get ready for winter (got a few ?'s)

Rich-

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux Falls SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB
my explorer is pretty much my winter driver, dont need it, my vW's are still OK unless its a bad snow storm

shocks have 150k+ on them, bought monroe sensa-tracks, $40 each at oriley

fronts were easy, rears tomorrow, i sprayd the bolts with PB on the rears, looks like the top mount bolts on the rear shocks might be kinda tough to get at, any tips or tricks to help me out??

also did front pads and rotors, the rotors were rusted BAD and it would not hardley stop at all,and the guide pins were stuck. they were fine early this spring when i put it away, but sitting all summer is hard on a vehicle

still need to do a oil change i have been running M1, gonna stick with it, but any recommendations for a weight to run? is 0-20 to thin?
i cant remember if i put 5-30 or 10-30 in oil has 5k on it and has not used or leaked any (i am inpressed)

i also need to look up an doing a tranny fluid and maybe transfer case dif. fluid changes, any help on that? (they have prob. never been done,. )

any help would be great!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear shocks, lower your spare and get it out of the way. Just reach up w/ your wrench. I find the rears much easier than the front. So from my point of view, you've got the shocks whipped.

Remove the spare tire, cuss a lot for the top bolts. I'd stay with whatever weight oil you have been using. Trans/ transfer case are straight forward, no surprises here.

spare is removed and also on the drivers side i loosened the black box that looks like fuel lines or something on it?
made for a little more room ro actually see the bolts on the drivers side,
got them sprayd with PB, hopfully they treat me well tomorrow

i thought the rears were conciderably harder than the fronts the top mount bolts on the rears were crusty and kind of a b**ch to get a hold of.

i think the key to the fronts is a long extention and do it through the top under the hood

Back