Got my 31's now i have a ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got my 31's now i have a ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

add about 5mph

Where'd you get 5 mph ? Itll increase the faster you go... like at 30 it wont be as far off as it would be at 70. it depends..... with my 31's my speedo isnt off but maybe 2-3 mph... but my speedo's all screwed up...

Shane

At 65 you'll read about 5 mph slower than stock.

The first number is your speedometer reading, and the second number is your actual speed (assuming a height of 28.9" for your 235's and a height of 30.7" for your 31's)

25 - 26.6

35 - 37.2

45 - 47.8

55 - 58.4

65 - 69.0

75 - 79.7

This would be assuming that you speedometer was dead on to begin with, which is highly unlikely. It seems that most of the time stock speedometers read a little faster than actual, which would make your margin of error less.

I know mine read less when stock. I would go by those big radar trailers and it was off by about 4mph. I dunno if those are real accurate though.

Originally posted by huskyfan23
I know mine read less when stock. I would go by those big radar trailers and it was off by about 4mph. I dunno if those are real accurate though.

I was going to do that but i cant find one

Oh so this explains why my truck is pinning out at 95 now, instead of 100+ when i first got it.;)

And BTW from what i hear those big radar things on the side of the road and the hand held ones the cops have actually under-estimate by a few mph .
could be entirely false though. who knows

I would not trust those by the side of the road at all. If anything, bring it to a shop and have someone look at it. But as VT Hokie is going to do - just wait until you get a speeding ticket. Then it will be your one time get-out-of-a-ticket free card. =P

Well I had a M/P friend sit at a stop and I asked him to radar me and I went back and went by him at 35 mph so my speedometer said and when I returned to see what he registered, the margin was 3 mph difference. So not too bad for my 31's. But my gas mileage went down about 45 miles to the tank full.

Wow, my mileage went up.. LoL, it's always changing though, and my driving style isn't.

It effected my shift pints in the tranny. I run without the over drive on around town. But I am going to new rear gears soon to fix that. It shifts fine but sometimes sooner than needed in overdrive or sometimes it shifts to much on the highway if I let off the pedal a little and try to coast then I got to hit the pedal again to maintain speed and the shift point. No biggie though. The new gears will diffinately fix it.

I noticed it holds the shifts longer for me, which I like. I drive overdrive almost overwhere unless it's stop and go. I'm happy with my 31's, but since I chose M/T's, my stopping in rain is horrible. Earlier today I had to stop kind of suddenly, and had trouble keeping it steady. I also noticed it doesn't handle as well in rain, but these tires make up for it in the mud.

I have not had any problem with the thornbirds in the rain except when the window is cracked the water just shoots up into the window from the wide stance of the 15x10 rims. But on stopping I have not noticed any difference at all.In the cornering it turns better than stock. The wider stance really improved that. And on dry surface it sounds like a prop plane going down the road and when I start to deccerate to a stop it sounds like it is coming in for a landing. People always jerk there head as I run up along side of them. It is funny to see 4 whale tails of rain flying from my truck when it rains. I guess I should invent side window wippers.

Back