Got My Turbo, Making Progress... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got My Turbo, Making Progress...

As long as you don't go over 7lbs of boost with intercooler or 6lbs without. You don't need to change your fuel system. Your car without piston and connecting rod modifications can't handle any more than that anyway.

BTW the turbo is only a T3. Which is plenty for this application.

Also, after I'm done with doing all this, hopefully it'll be done soon. I'd be able to spit out some kits for the OHV V6, which is the engine I have. And it wouldn't be long before I (me and my friend) would probably have a kit out for the SOHC. V6 and V8 hopefully, just would have to get a hold of a vehicle to look at, since the gaskets can be bought and the manifold could be built from that, for the most part. Would still have to see how it would all go together before being able to give those out.

So my question is, who would be interested in attaining a turbo setup for their OHV after mine is done?

THe kit would come with.

Turbo
Exhuast manifold
Piping from turbo to intake
Waste Gate
Blowoff Valve
Piping from turbo to exhuast

An intercooler would be extra. Which would be water to air.

All that stuff would be significantly cheaper than $3500 for a supercharger. Probably around $1000 cheaper, can't say for sure, but that's ballpark.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question.
Is the turbo going to have both the right and left back running to it or are you just going to have the turbo run off the one back and then have the two meet after. I would suggest having the two pipes meet the turbo like a GMC Typhoon because it will make it easier to tune. this is what I am doing on my install.
Also what are you doing for oil lines and water lines because the engine must be pulled to take the pan of to make a return line.
For the o2 sensors where will you be putting them because The o2 location is an item that cannot be overlooked. My thinking was to put the o2 after the turbo just before the cat as from the factory. The thinking was that this would provide as close to normal readings possible. Wrong. The Ford EEC is set up to read the o2 after a preset delay. This delay, normally is 10mS. The delay is timed to measure the O2º timed so that the computer knows what the fuel air mixture was at the point of firing. If the o2 is located in an area that troughs that timing factor out then the computer is adjusting fuel mixture for an unknown value. This could cause problems with incorrect fuel to air mixtures as well as effect performance. It is best to place the o2 at the same distance from the exhaust header outlet as with the factory setup. This will assure that the o2 is being read correctly. Placing the o2 after the turbo will cause not only a normal delay but also depending upon boost and the waste gate opening there could be another variable delay built in.
Fuel I would also do a pressure riser with boost and bigger injectors and a pump because superchargers need this and lean burn is the last thing needed.

Just things to think about.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

I may be interested.

I looked at putting on a turbo a few years back so I may be interested. Cant really say though until we see the install, and some more details. Which side you are mounting on, the exhaust layout, location of drain and pressure lines for the oil, hood clearance etc.

Ive been following along, and will watch for updates. Do you have a thread in the projects section? You may want to start one there with the pics of the manifold, the turbo housing, be nice to have the info in one spot.

Good Luck

I'd definitely be interested in a turbo kit. I have a '99 SOHC V6.

I wouldn't even attempt to run a turbo in on sohc V6 motor, it'll last even shorter than if it had a supercharger on it. You'd have to do some serious beefing up to hold a turbo's boost pressure.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
I wouldn't even attempt to run a turbo in on sohc V6 motor, it'll last even shorter than if it had a supercharger on it. You'd have to do some serious beefing up to hold a turbo's boost pressure.

hmm. Back to a V8 swap then.

I'd be interested in a turbo kit. I'd still probably have to mod the fuel system, since I have a 99 with the returnless. Keep us udated, and as always, plenty of pics.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP

Beefing up of what? What are you basing this on?

You can vary the boost pressure on any turbo/superchager to fit your vehicles needs.

The sohc would run into cylinder pressure problems- it has a higher static compression ratio, so the window for boost pressure increases is going to be smaller than say with the OHC. The smaller window may not make turboing the engine make sense, although a good deal of power can be had from 3 or 4 psi of boost.

The engines themselves seem to be capable of handleing 250-300 HP or so with little or no internal work, judging from the 4.0 superchager stories around. The SOHC is similar if not more beefy on the bottom end, the downfall to supercharging the SOHC is the comp ratio not the beef.
The smaller boost levels may not make dollar sense to some.

However, an intercooler turbo with smaller boost will make more power than a non-intercooled turbo with more boost. The more boost you add, the more heat you have. Therefore, if you can keep the intake charge cool you don't need much boost to make large power gains.

i don't know much about turbos or what not, but isn't there computer issues to deal with? what about turbo timing and boost controllers? This is all ricer talk but i figure the same would apply.

Doesn't 6lbs of boost from supercharger have a greater effect than 6lbs from a turbo? My friends supra runs 30lbs of boost, but it is a fully built motor with a TT setup.

He said that his turbo would only run about 6lbs of boost, i didn't know that would do much out of a turbo. Can someone enlighten me?

pound for pound, an intercooled turbo is much more efficient than a supercharger. Turbos are technically not parasitic like a supercharger (though they can rob a bit of power at low boost), and they're easier to intercool. The problem with them is all the plumbing required.

As for the computer issue, I assume Klowns is getting a fully custom computer job. He should also get a turbo timer cause that thing is gonna get really hot feeding off the 4.0.

Originally posted by XLT_66
Doesn't 6lbs of boost from supercharger have a greater effect than 6lbs from a turbo? My friends supra runs 30lbs of boost, but it is a fully built motor with a TT setup.

6 lbs is not always equal to 6 lbs. It also depends on volume. SC's come in different displacements. Turbos have different combinations of turbine and housing to give differnet volumes.

One good example is a bike pump. I have one pump for my road bike that can pump the rites up to 150 psi, but the volume of each stroke is tiny. My other pump is a high volume low pressure pump for mountain bike tires. If I were to use the high pressure pump on my mountain bike, it would take me an hour to fill the tire.

So, 6 lbs of boost from a high volume SC will push more air than a smaller dispalcement SC. A turbo has many differnt factors including turbine speed, turbine to housing ration and a bunch of other stuff. I really won't ge tinto it in detail because I really don't know. Maybe someone else can fill in the details. Or correct me if I'm completely wrong.

Originally posted by SteveVB
Beefing up of what? What are you basing this on?

You can vary the boost pressure on any turbo/superchager to fit your vehicles needs.

The sohc would run into cylinder pressure problems- it has a higher static compression ratio, so the window for boost pressure increases is going to be smaller than say with the OHC. The smaller window may not make turboing the engine make sense, although a good deal of power can be had from 3 or 4 psi of boost.

The engines themselves seem to be capable of handleing 250-300 HP or so with little or no internal work, judging from the 4.0 superchager stories around. The SOHC is similar if not more beefy on the bottom end, the downfall to supercharging the SOHC is the comp ratio not the beef.
The smaller boost levels may not make dollar sense to some.
well...I meant if he wanted to go for all out performance, other wise theres really no point in doing a turbo. You'd be better off with a supercharger if you want to spend all that money on a turbo just to have it detuned to run safely.

People that do Turbos are looking for one thing - peformance, otherwise the cost-power ratio like you said would not be worth it.

If you wanted to run some serious boost on the sohc, you'd definitley have to beef it up, I'm talking way more than 6lbs, b/c it wouldn't be worth it to spend that much money on a custom kit and not be able to run or perform fully.

RPM?

What RPM are you going to have the turbo spool at? Definitly a cool mod but, as stated before, unless your going all out race sc seems better than turbo. sidenote - how much boost does troll run off his sc?
Thanks.

Andrew

whats all this about "going all out performance". He obviously isn't. If he was, he wouldn't own an explorer. And if he wanted a "performance" explorer, he would get a V8.
I think its cool, as i've never heard of a turbo charged explorer, and it sounds like it would give plenty of extra umph, at possibly a cheaper price than a s/c.

Originally posted by psychotic
whats all this about "going all out performance". He obviously isn't. If he was, he wouldn't own an explorer. And if he wanted a "performance" explorer, he would get a V8.
I think its cool, as i've never heard of a turbo charged explorer, and it sounds like it would give plenty of extra umph, at possibly a cheaper price than a s/c.
thats what I'm trying to say, it will be unique, but whats the point of doing a turbo if your not going to get even half it's potential. Turbos a lot more expensive to do than bolting on a supercharger, especially a custom made one.

Cheaper?, don't know what he's paying, but the average price for a custom Turbo is around 6000-10,000.

Would you spend all that money to get maybe not even the same performance as a supercharger?
It's a very intricate job to get a turbo working correctly, you gotta have the exact sized plumbing in the right areas or the whole thing will end up going to ****.

If he could get them out around the price he was talking about, I guess it's ok, but if I were to do a turbo - I would want the full potential - instead of keeping the boost down to supercharger levels.

yeah

If he could get them out around the price he was talking about, I guess it's ok, but if I were to do a turbo - I would want the full potential - instead of keeping the boost down to supercharger levels.

Thats what I mean, sc dont make as much boost as turbos do, in some rare cases but not often. With a turbo, a better exhaust, and stronger internals a turbo car can run around 20lbs on premium fuel, notice I said car, i dont know for sure about an X but i dont think that it would be that difficult to do. sc, at least the ones I have read about dont make much over 12-14 and with good reasons. Im just saying that a turbo has more potential to make more HP than a sc. Sorry but this is a debate that can go on and on, both have good points and both have downfalls, personally if I was building a strip car, i would use turbo no doubt, and for a daily driver i would be more partial to sc. More power to you when your done with this, dont get me wrong both are great, and both are out of my price range. Good luck with your project. :)

Andrew

p.s. I'm sorry I got into the whole sc vs turbo debate.

99exEB1 - you know what I'm saying, cool bro - later:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back