Got My Turbo, Making Progress...

Klowns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL
Just thought I'd update my progress on the turbo. I just got it yesterday. Waiting for my friend to buy his tig welder so we can finish it up, nipples to the oil, putting in the intercooler, all the hard stuff is basicaly done, just need him to get some free time.

Anyway here are the pix

240996_14_full.jpg
240996_15_full.jpg

The turbo has upgraded bearings, Turbine clipping which helpls the exhaust flow at high RPM as not to lose power. Turbine shaft lightening to make it spool up faster. It's on a .60 trim. Wheel size needed for what the engine needs and has room for engine upgrades.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very cool, looking forward to seeing it done. you'll be one of a small handful of turbo 4.0 owners.

Do ya have any pictures of the install yet. Looks like you are making alot of progress. When do you think it will be running?

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

sweetness! How much you spending on the project?

Very nice Klowns! Are you considering making a kit? Are you gonna make a dyno run after you install?

kit kit kit! Dam man i mean i know people say i have a supercharged X but turbocharged? How would you like saying i have a turbo x woo!

It this mod posted on the projects section? Good luck bro!:D

coolest mod ever :thumbsup:

I think you will be the 1st turbo Explorer, I think the Ranger guys are the only ones that have placed turbos on the 4.0 V6.

Wonder if the Troll has some competition:D :rolleyes:
Any ideas of what kind of power you think it would put out? What about any mods to the engine, like internally?

if you are racing 4.0 we will bring out our ranger 4.0 with a vortech an Ronnie Crawford stroker motor. it should make 400 to the back tire and go 11's easy. but if you want to race troll i am shure he will not mind if you pay for his gas.

Got details on the strocker engine and how much it would be to build one up because I am lookin for a new engine to be built.

Jed

oreokid22@aol.com

Originally posted by blk mk8
but if you want to race troll i am shure he will not mind if you pay for his gas.
lol - I'm curious as to how much power a turbo 4.0 could attain? I don't think anywhere close to Troll's levels unless the 4.0 has more work done on it:confused:
Did you guys ever run the Ranger at Morroso?

alright klowns, i thought you were just **** talking in the begining, but you are backing it up so you definatly have my attention.;) keep us posted on how it goes. BTW, were/how much did you get the turbo from/for?

As far as racing troll I doubt it'd be even close to his at all. What the 4.0 V6 put out 165 HP stock or something, all i've done now is exhaust and intake. So it's not pushing out much more. With the turbo on there and some other stuff, I doubt I'd be pushing no more than 300 when I'm done. I'm thinking bout putting NoS on there, but not really any point, putting the turbo on there, is pointless enough, lol.
I got my turbo rebuilt for $50, and had it rebuilt for $400. I know a guy who custom rebuilds turbos, I already had it, just needed new casing and some work. It would of cost someone else about $1,200 for the same turbo I have. Only reason really for doing this, is that no one that I know of has turbo'd an ex, maybe some 5.0's but none that I know of. And to make up some of the speed I lost putting on the 35's and putting in 4.56's. Which I wish I would of put in atleast 4.88's. And can't I also can't wait to burn the ricers that think there car can beat my X. I'll be ripping out the exhaust I just put in, and most likely re doing it, giving it a beefier sound and making it dual exhuast, so when it moves, you can hear and see it go.

Ohh yeah. Yes when this is all done, I'll be putting out a kit for everyone. Not quite sure as of yet, if it'll work on the 5.0 or the newer 4.0. I'll have to take a look into that. Can't imagine much of a difference, and a small one if any. Shouldn't be a big deal.

As far as when it'll be done, I said it was gonna be done last month, and well it isn't. Like I said waiting for my friend to buy his tig welder, cause he can't use the one at his work anymore. So progress is halted til he gets it. He claims we'll have it done in a month, so I say it'll be done atleast in 2 months.

Yeah I don't see any reason why not to get it dyno'ed. I don't really care all that much, but I'm sure there are people here, that would like me to.

Also with the NoS if i'm not mistaken, that would just add more strain on the connecting rods/pistons and stuff, and with a turbo on there, there is plent of power, just the rods and stuff can't take it, and the NoS would be putting pressure on that stuff too. I think...Not sure if It's purely that, I'm sure there's more to it

What size turbo is that anyways?

whats good also is the extremely flat torque band of a turbo. Once your in boost you will basically have almost peak torque at any rpm - thats what'll burn them ricers and pin you to the seat - that'd be pretty bad ass on a lifted ex like yours.

Klowns - When you decide to get it dynoed, give me a call so we can maybe get a discount. I still want to get mine done. A suggestion was made for a place in Mesa called "Speed something". I have been to another place in Mesa through work called Arizona Test Labs but I don't know if they will do dynos for the general public.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i may have asked you this before, if so, refresh my memory. what is going to be done about fuel? its gonna need more fuel either with a boost sensitive FMU or bigger injectors and some programming. and also, how much boost are you gonna run?

Back