Got My Turbo, Making Progress... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got My Turbo, Making Progress...

I can wait that happen, I dreamed my X with a turbo for long time......
Originally posted by Klowns
As long as you don't go over 7lbs of boost with intercooler or 6lbs without. You don't need to change your fuel system. Your car without piston and connecting rod modifications can't handle any more than that anyway.

BTW the turbo is only a T3. Which is plenty for this application.

Also, after I'm done with doing all this, hopefully it'll be done soon. I'd be able to spit out some kits for the OHV V6, which is the engine I have. And it wouldn't be long before I (me and my friend) would probably have a kit out for the SOHC. V6 and V8 hopefully, just would have to get a hold of a vehicle to look at, since the gaskets can be bought and the manifold could be built from that, for the most part. Would still have to see how it would all go together before being able to give those out.

So my question is, who would be interested in attaining a turbo setup for their OHV after mine is done?

THe kit would come with.

Turbo
Exhuast manifold
Piping from turbo to intake
Waste Gate
Blowoff Valve
Piping from turbo to exhuast

An intercooler would be extra. Which would be water to air.

All that stuff would be significantly cheaper than $3500 for a supercharger. Probably around $1000 cheaper, can't say for sure, but that's ballpark.
;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm...twin turbo 4.0.
So if I have a guy fab some custom headers with the plumming for the turbos I could just bolt them on.What kind of fuel mods would/will have to be done? Oh ya and forged pistons with 8:1 compression right?:confused:

Ohh yeah, btw I got my turbo on. hehe. Intercooler isn't running yet, and the exhuast isn't done yet, just dumping of the turbo into the wheel well as of now. But it's on, and I can feel the power.

Only problem is, I have to get some better clamps, the rubber ones I have, aren't holding on all the tubes, cause the air the turbo puts out, just blows em off the clamps.

i'll be putting a different trim on it in a little bit too. But as for now, next step is to get the intercooler running, air/water. It's in there, just isn't running, and to finish the exhuast and run duals out the back. Got all the parts, just gotta piece it all together.

BTW getting my front end fixed on Tueday I believe.

I'll post some pix of the turbo and stuff asap, little sister dropped and broke my digital.

well, here we have it. quite possibly the worlds first turbo explorer. now, lets see some pics!!!:bounce:

Cant wait for the pics man, ive been waiting for what seems like forever! :D

This is great, I have friends like you who have no prob slapping a turbo on anything people like you are cool!! cant wait to hear the results- how bout a video clip so we can see your rig haul *** and hear the glorious whistle of the bov.

Yeah, its been awhile. I forgot about this project. Did you ever finish it? If so, where are the pics?

later,
Mike

Well things are taking a lot longer than they should like they always do. I've been totally swamped with stuff.

On top of the whole turbo thing, blew a lifter, so I have to get that fixed, looks like about $1k to have that fixed, i'm very upset, cause well they were brand spanking new lifters.

Anyway, today the new radiator is going in, and putting on the headers. Was gonna finish running the dual out the back, but gonna wait til I get the rear bumper, So i know exactly where i wanna run it.

But, I do have all my parts, just gotta put em in. I'm hoping to have it done within the month, but who knows, it could take a year, lol.

I can't wait til it's done, I have fun blowing ricers away now, it's gonna be a whole new ballgame when it's running 20-25 lbs.

Far as pix, i still havent gotten a digital camera, and sad to say, i'm just too lazy to go buy a disposable and take pix, and then scan em.

I dont know if you have discussed this yet but ae you doing anything with the transmission?

As of now it's actually holding up just fine, I'd figure i'd abuse it until it went, then go with something else. Can't remember what I'm prolly gonna go with, posted it on some other thread but, utnil then I'm using the stock one. It only runs good when it blinks "O/D" off. Even though it really isn't off, it just thinks it is. If it acts like it's running fine, the tranny slips whenever it shifts. So when it starts thinking normal i just gotta hit 60mph then it goes back into O/D off mode, then it runs just fine.

im very interested.... ill be comming into some good money soon, and i planned on getting the bbk charger, but if this will be cheaper, i might have to change plans.

ive been told turbos are less reliable, is this true? and how are they as far as wear and tear go vs a super?

If you've got welding skills, and some engine knowledge then a turbo by far is cheaper. Wear and tear, the turbo itself is pretty bullet proof. I'd say that a turbo actually requires far less maintenance then a SC, but I could be wrong.

If the OD light is blinking then most likely either your fluid is bad or your torque converter is on it's way out; I think the latter. Better get a new tranny soon.

Brand New fluid, so maybe TC. Anyway, it's running fine, and i'm hoping it'll hold up for a while. It only started doing this right after the rebuild, so I think the computer might not like all the new parts, or something isn't the same. BUt it literally happened, right when the rebuild was done, the very first test drive...

Originally posted by Klowns

On top of the whole turbo thing, blew a lifter, so I have to get that fixed, looks like about $1k to have that fixed, i'm very upset, cause well they were brand spanking new lifters.

Hey Guy,

I'm glad to hear you got it running, now lets try and fix your problem instead of trying to patch it with a new lifter.

What cam are you running?

What lenght pushrods do you have?

How much are your heads shaved?

How much is your block decked?

Sounds to me like you have too much preload on the lifter or too long of a pushrod and its terring hell into the lifter. Also did you go with Detla cams rockers? If so they also add .060 to the length of the pushrods because the install the hardened cups lower in the rockers.

Let fix this now instead of pulling the heads a couple of more times :).

Later Doug904.

I have a question, are you doing just a single turbo, or twin's??

Ive got an 89 ranger that i just finally finished swapping in a 4.0, and a T-5 from an 85 5.0 Mustang. Im planning on doing a Twin Turbo, w/ 2 Garret T-3's. As well as running either 2 smaller, or one large air/air intercooler. I will also be custom making my own turbo headers, now that ive got a pair of header flanges to work w/. Along w/ the turbos, Im going to rework a 4.0 as much as I can to increase the strenght of hte bottom end, and help to increase air flow through the engine.

Unfortunatly b/c if college, I really dont know when Im going to finally be able to start wokring on the turbos, but Ive finally begun the planning stage, now that my truck is finally running again.

Any new news?

I'm interested to see what the status is on this project.

What type of transmission are you using? I sure hope it's a manual. Harder to blow up and a lot more fun. :burnout:

and also, I couldn't resist :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics???

Back