Got new rims and tires. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got new rims and tires.

Ok well the debate for tires is now over. I have a roomate who has a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4wd. He has 245/75/16 BFG Rugged Trail tires with a good 20-30k left on them and I have 235/75/15 BFG Long Trails on my 1999 Explorer XLT 4wd. WELL I talked to him jokingly about swapping them out, I wanted bigger tires anyways and rims couldn't hurt either. My rims are in better shape but I am sure I can clean these up, plus there bigger and between the increase in wheel size and the tire size I think there equivilant to 31's maybe so for $100 and my rims and tires I got rid of my weaker less expensive tires and rims for his. Should I do the shackle and TT with this set up or are they not big enough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a test fit with the tire and drive the truck. You shouldn't have any issues with rubbing at full lock when turning but every truck is different.

They fit fine, I wonder if I need an alignment though. I let go of the wheel and it drives straight so I don't think so but I don't want to ruin my tires. What are these equivilant to now between the increase in tire size and wheel size? They look like 31's I'd say. Should I TT and Shackle now?

I dont think you should need an alignment, these tires aren't much bigger than what you had. They are about 30 inches tall--lots of Explorers come with 30's(255/70/16) stock. I think it was definately worth it to move up to 16s though.

I am also worried about another issue which is the bronzing of them, I tire cleaned the wheels and tires and the rubber came out clean and great, the wheels became cleaner but I think after lots of mileage, break dust and neglect I need something stronger. I was told there is a kind of acid that will take it off the inner side of the wheel and the outer too but I don't want it to eat my center cap shine or my wheel either. Should these tires be good enough for a TT/Shackle? Or are they too small because it seems that they take up a damn lot of my wheel well and that any bigger I would be stuffing tire in there so that is why I thought they were a 31'

I am having problems too. I bought new Mickey Thompson Baja Radials and Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels. I was washing the truck yesterday and I noticed my wheels have white spots on them that I can't get off. Is there some kind of cleaner I should try or should I call Mickey Thompson and B*tch. I have had them on the truck maybe a combined of 2 weeks total and then they were in storage when I had my winter tires on. I am really dissappointed if they are oxidizing already. Thanks

Back