• Register Today It's free!

Grabbing sensation when Braking

ford_67

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1997 XLT AWD 5.0
My 97 AWD has a grabbing sensation when braking (does not pull to either side) This does not happen everytime I apply the brake usually the first time I apply the brake after pulling out of my driveway (REALLY BAD) and then maybe two or three times during a drive. I have replaced all of the ABS sensors the front Hubs. The abs light has not come on at all. I have checked the the fluid and it is at the correct level. I have also replaced the brake pads and rotors as well. Does anyone have any suggestions. The only things left that are left are the Electronic control module and the Hydraulic control unit.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 97 AWD has a grabbing sensation when braking (does not pull to either side) This does not happen everytime I apply the brake usually the first time I apply the brake after pulling out of my driveway (REALLY BAD) and then maybe two or three times during a drive. I have replaced all of the ABS sensors the front Hubs. The abs light has not come on at all. I have checked the the fluid and it is at the correct level. I have also replaced the brake pads and rotors as well. Does anyone have any suggestions. The only things left that are left are the Electronic control module and the Hydraulic control unit.

Thanks

The "grabbing" could be one or more calipers hanging up a bit when you apply the brakes. Two suggestions:
- Remove and clean/lube the pins the calipers slide on. (Easy - do this first.)
- Check each of the caliper pistons to make sure they move in and out smoothly. (Harder - have to dismount calipers one at a time; have someone else SLOWLY push on brake pedal while you feel caliper as it moves out. DON'T let it pop out of caliper body!)
Good luck.

i don't know if your ex has drums or disks on the rear, but i had this happen with a vehicle with rear drums and it turned out to be a leaky axel seal. a little gear oil got on the brake shoes at it made them grab when backing up. going forward it was fine.

if you've got disks, it's probably a caliper sticking.

Mine has all calipers. I will check the pins and calipers this weekend when the temp. gets above 40 degrees.

Thanks for the help.

Well I checked the calipers pins on the front today and the driver side had some lubrication while the passenger side did not have much at all. I cleaned everything and put plenty of lubrication where needed. I also checked the caliper pistons by putting a piece of aluminum stock in so the pistons would not come all the way out. They looked great. Took it for a test drive and I did not have any grabbing sensation anymore. Will give another up date in a few days.

Thanks for the help guys.

ford_67

Update

I drove my Explorer this afternoon and when I applied the brake it did the grabbing sensation again. :( Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
ford_67

I hope you did use lube specific for brakes (synthetic brake grease). The regular grease will solidify under heat.
Also, I do grease the pads sliders too.

Response

Yes, I picked a half dozen packets up at Autozone. Got extra to keep on the shelf. I also did the pad sliders as well.
Thanks
ford_67

Yes, I picked a half dozen packets up at Autozone. Got extra to keep on the shelf. I also did the pad sliders as well.
Thanks
ford_67
Try this tomorrow. Go out on a little used road, and ride the brakes for a little ways while accelerating. What you are doing is burnishing the rotors. This is an old Volkswagen shop trick. The only difference is, we would squirt Comet cleanser into the drum to break the glaze. I don't know if will help your situation or not, but it is cheap and easy. If that doesn't work, you may have to change the pads. Or do what I would do, take my 4" Makita and sand the pads to deglaze them. Good luck.

Well, bedding in of the new pads should be always done:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

I don't think that will cause "grabbing". I still suspect that the calipers are at fault. The piston rotates in cylinder in time due to braking, maybe it's just in one position that "catches" an edge?
Also, the rubber booth is the one that "pulls" back the cylinder when you lift the foot from the brake pedal. If that rubber is not elastic enough (on cold weather) it will leave the pad draging.

what brand and quality of brake pads are you using. i've had problem's when using autozone's regular duralast pads. grinding noises and occassional grabbing hard enough to skid a wheel on gravel. i don't use these pads anymore. i at least step up to the duralast gold. if you are using these pads you can return them to az for a full refund or full credit against a better pad.

on a different note, i'm having a problem on an '02 mustang where the right rear caliper doesn't release all the way after stopping. when you turn left it makes a noise like your're pushing a table across a wood floor. i need to replace it.

The pads I put on are from Advance Auto and they are the wagner ceramic pads. I purchased a NGS tool on ebay. It came with ten cards one being a diagnostic card. I am going to go through my manual and do all the tests to see if it may be the HCU. I just have been really busy lately with work and our two year old.

Thanks for all the help

ford_67

Thanks

If the truck doesn't pull I'm wondering if you might be feeling the ABS activating. The ABS light will only come on if the system sees a fault somewhere not if it activates.

Back