• Register Today It's free!

Grand Prix GTPs?

TTG

Reaction score
City, State
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
What'cha think about the previous generation GTPs? Been looking at a '97 with around 130k, but the guy wants like 1800 over KBB value :rolleyes: He wasn't able to sell it on eBay so I'm thinking I'll just let the car sit on him until he's ready to take my offer around its KBB value. It's got a little rust and no HUD, but other than that is nice.

They're kinda cool though, all leather with a 240 hp 3.8L supercharged engine with 280 torque. Get almost 30 mpg on the highway too. If gas gets up to $5 a gallon that will be extremely nice.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They're not bad cars. Decent looking, fairly plush, and pretty quick.

Its older with a good chunk of miles. They're quite common, I say pass this one up.

With a few mods these will run 13.5's in the 1/4 mile, the only real issue is that the tranny is the weak point, even the upgrded more expensive SLP replacement is still weak.

The lower ends will make 550hp with no mods.

Fun, cool ,sleepers though.

Jeff - :navajo

SVO said:
With a few mods these will run 13.5's in the 1/4 mile, the only real issue is that the tranny is the weak point, even the upgrded more expensive SLP replacement is still weak.

The lower ends will make 550hp with no mods.

Fun, cool ,sleepers though.

Jeff - :navajo

With some simple-ish mods those things are capable of better than just a 13.5. I seen a few running low 12's on their stocker engine. Pretty respectable cars.

Yeah, the transmissions are only rated for 280 ft lbs of torque, which is incidentally the exact peak of the engine in it.

The guy ended up getting a biter on it, but apparently it hasn't all gone through and he's waiting on the money. If he can sell it for 1700 over blue book price, more power to him. The funny part is the guy then got another GTP in red that was newer with like half the miles, but no leather or sunroof. He only wanted another like 600 bucks for that one. I'm not sure what's with the guy to be honest.

TTG said:
Yeah, the transmissions are only rated for 280 ft lbs of torque, which is incidentally the exact peak of the engine in it.

Yeah, but ratings are never accurate though. More BS than anything else.

Yeah, I'd install a tranny cooler no matter what though.

id pass on the 130k one..... too many miles for anything domestic, well for me to wnat to buy used and not know its history

Unfortunately everything in my price range has that many miles. And the little import jobs aren't as fast and cost more.

Back