Greaseable U-joints or not ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Greaseable U-joints or not ??

Torqueranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer 5.0l
What do you guys use or like and how do they perform ??

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a non-greasable one because I don't drive in water or mud.
Non-greasable ones are heavy duty because they don't have channels or holes going trough middle of them.

I used a non-greasable one because I don't drive in water or mud.
Non-greasable ones are heavy duty because they don't have channels or holes going trough middle of them.

Ditto here..

We run the solid u-joints on our vehicles..

The 06 Mustang uses 1310 joints now and we make sure they are the cold forged style (Spicer brand).

The explorer has been running cold forged Spicers for many years BUT this last set of u-joints in the rear shaft are now Neapco Gold series (solid). That is what the driveshaft shop put in there for their HD (before going nuts with CTM etc).. My driveshaft shop doesn't like the newer spicers but I don't know if it because they fail or because they aren't made in the US anymore.

~Mark

I used Moog 269 (Non-Greaseable Super-Strength):
5.Super-Strength allow steel crosses are forged on state-of-the-art equipment and case-hardened for maximum life.
6.Non-greaseable versions have grease reservoirs in the end of each journal to assure proper lubrication. They increase cross strength by eliminating all grease channels within the cross body.
7.Super-Strength u-joints feature an exclusive MICRO SHIELD™ coating to protect against rust and corrosion.

there are two schools of thought on grease-able u-joints. some believe that adding the grease fitting hole weakens the u-joint. other's don't believe this and feel it's better to be able to grease u-joints periodically. personally, i subscribe to the latter theory.

When was the last time some here broke a u-joint without doing something crazy ??

When was the last time some here broke a u-joint without doing something crazy ??

I know we push our X so I wanted the extra strength of the solid u-joint.

More realistically though, I figured out how often I really do get under the vehicles and grease the joints.. I figured out I am not very good at doing it..

On the mustang I have to lift the vehicle to do it, so it would probably never get done... Even when I lift it to rotate the tires I still barely fit under there.

You have to be honest with yourself.. how often will you actually grease it? A solid/sealed/non greasable u-joint will last longer than a greasable one that is never greased..

~Mark

Depends on your maintenance preference. If you DIY, it's your call. If you use an Express or Jiffy Lube, I would use the sealed type. Most of those places usually do not inspect for grease points in vehicles that were not originally equipped with them.

I'm a fan of being able to grease all front end components and u-joints but then again my driveway is "off road" .. through a creek and yes, mud. Sealed u-joints last quite a while as well.

When installing a greasable u-joint, place the zerk fitting
so it's in compression when power is applied to the
driveshaft, (rather than being under tension). The joint
will be much stronger this way.

Observe the direction the driveshaft rotates when under power and then place the zerk fitting so the powered yoke
end is 'pushing' on the zerk instead of 'pulling'.

Back