Greetings - Transmission swap for 1994? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Greetings - Transmission swap for 1994?

is there a list somewhere in this world that shows what transmissions are interchangable?

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jimmy lock

Reaction score
City, State
Cocolalla, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ford explorer 4x4
Hello everyone, new guy here. Have an explorer, wanting to up grade. Just wanting some help on what people who own one think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1994 explorer came with either a A4LD 4 speed automatic or the Mazda M5OD 5 speed manual
Which does your truck have? Is it 2wd or 4x4?
There are upgrade options for both
What are you looking to do?

As for a list of interchangeable transmissions:
A4LD 1990-1994 Ford Ranger, Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport, Mazda B4000, Mazda Navajo, possibly ford Aerostar
M5OD 1986-2011 Ford Ranger, 1990-2004 Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport, Mercury Mountaineer, Mazda B4000 and Mazda Navajo

Wow, That's a lot of replacements. Mine is a 94 4x4 LL. I Like driving it more then my ford f-150. The trans is shot and I'm not into buying a new one since it's so old even though it runs great but if I can find a decent replacement I will switch it out. Thanks 410 Fortune, hard to believe I got such a quick and informative response.

1994 explorer came with either a A4LD 4 speed automatic or the Mazda M5OD 5 speed manual
Which does your truck have? Is it 2wd or 4x4?
There are upgrade options for both
What are you looking to do?

As for a list of interchangeable transmissions:
A4LD 1990-1994 Ford Ranger, Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport, Mazda B4000, Mazda Navajo, possibly ford Aerostar
M5OD 1986-2011 Ford Ranger, 1990-2004 Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport, Mercury Mountaineer, Mazda B4000 and Mazda Navajo

Make sure that the Ranger and Mazda pickups have the 4.0 OHV engine. Those vehicles came with different engines and some had the A4LD, but the bellhousing pattern is different.

Back