Grinding from front right

SBJ420

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Grinding from front right, got pics!

my 94 4.0 xlt is starting to make a bad grinding noise from the front right. It is usllay fine but every so often it will make a spinning noise then a bad grind. And some times makes a grinding when the breaks are applyed. It also seems to be pulling that way also. Its not a wheel bearing but Iam thinking it is a spindle bearing? or somthing in the U joint?
so it goes ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ than grinding. than it stops and works fine
Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

checked the brakes/pads/calipers?

does it change if you turn?

no not at all, but when I go under I can move the U joint around quite a bit. But I can some times here a lil grinding from the break in the front right, but the breaks were done not too long ago. but when I bearly press the break I can hear some grinding

think this might be the problem?? is there a bearing inside of that? Cause if the bearing blew and broke that all up?
MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-006S.jpg

That is your U-joint... and it is busted... you'll need to pull it before you damage anthing else.. Even it you don't use 4x4 the U-joint will articulate with steering changes and cause the busted joint to flop around. See the U-joint link in my sig for a write up and pics on how to install U-joints.

I think I will go to a recker and pick up a front left axle. Mite be a lil bit easer to fix with the tools I have. Good idea or no?

you can get whatever tools you need for a deposit at autozone and return them and get the full deposit back...

I can take the axle off and take it to a shop and get them to take out and press a new U-joint. How much time would that take a shop?

would it be a bad idea to put some grease on it for now untill the weekend? Cant get it done till sat and I need to drive it to work

The U-joint is busted and grease will do nothing except make a mess. If you remove the axles and take them to a shop they should be able to press out the old and press in the new easily under an hour.. (thats both passenger and driver sides).. It is common for u-joint to last about 100K or so (depending on usage ect).. As such I would plan on replacing both passenger and driver's U-joints at the same time..

Yep, listen to DeRocha. Your Ujoint is toast and the other two probably aren't far behind. Avoid a headache and reaplace all three at the same time.

okay thats what I will do, I found a place that is going to sell me them for $30 each and will press all three of them for an extra $30. I am going to take out the axle's myself. I am going to just do the two front ones tomorrow than the 3rd next weekend. Will I need anything elts? Like snap rings? washers? Any pointers will help very much! Any special tools? Just to get the axle off?

U-Joints are only $15 a piece so $30 seams high...
Check out the Brake diary Thread for lots of good info on removing the front components.. You will need to remove the caliper, HUB, Wheel Bearings, and Spindle to be able to extract the Axle shaft... How are you Ball-joints? If they are old & or worn you should seriously think about replacing them at the same time (since ball joints and U-joints require you to remove all of the same components to perform the work).

Again Mr. DeRocha is correct. Ujoints should be closer to $15. The ball joints are worth checking seeing how you will have done 85% of the work if they need to be replaced.

I am starting to doo this now. Mite be askin some questions here soon!

okay I am stuck at this point! Help please!
U-Jointfix007.jpg

U-Jointfix005.jpg

U-Jointfix004.jpg

U-Jointfix003.jpg

U-Jointfix002.jpg

Ok go ahead and take the dust cover off. The big thing with three screws. Next is the ABS sensor. There are two screws in the back holding it on. They can be tough to get out sometimes. Sprays some with some type of anti sieze stuff if they are being a *****. Once you have the brake dust cover off and the ABS sensor removed then you can remove your spindle. Take a piece of wood or fold up a rag and bang that sucker with big Fn hammer. Also if you don't have a manual I would go and invest in one. Hope this helps. Also looks like your seals are leaking. And since you are removing the spindle I would check the needle bearing in side.

Check out similiar threads on Stuck Spindles to get more info on how to remove them.

I got all that off, the ABS and dust cover. But I am not 100% on what I should be hitting with a hammer, I dont want to just start beating on somthing. Yeah looks like a seal is gone but thats the anti seaze, I do got a manual but it is VERY vag. I have been reading all the post, all say just wack the sh*t out of it. But It has been soaking over nite, so lets get back to banging on that thing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok your going to wack the end of the spindle where the threads are. Thats why you use a piece of wood or thick rag to you don't mess up the threads. Hit from top to bottom and side to side, it will eventually break loose.

Back