Grinding noise in the front end! Wheel locked up! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise in the front end! Wheel locked up!

FarmageddonNRO

Reaction score
City, State
Anaconda MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
So I am very aware that my 4x4 system is in shambles, clicking noises and such. It currently has a set of used aut hubs on it now, and I'm about to order a set of manual hubs, new steel wheels and tires are on the way. I now need to address this noise. I was driving about 55mph and it just started grinding in the front end, and it actually locked up.. I had to pull over. I finally got it going ok, the grinding noise started to go away but you could tell it was still there though. I'm wondering if it was the transfer case giving me grief?? Any ideas?

the first thing i would do is jack up the side that was grinding (front or back) and spin each wheel by hand and listen for metal on metal. if the wheels are ok, then i would get under the truck and move the drive shafts by hand. listening for anything. it really shouldnt be making ANY noises. get a buddy and put it in neutral and in 4x4 and then spin the drive shafts again. you should be able to find the noise that way. if you find a noise in one of the wheels, make sure you check your brakes. if the brakes are sticking at all then if could heat up the rotor or the drum enough to cause a lockup. my parking brake cable wouldnt release all the way and warped my right rear drum pretty severely. it was 1.05 out of round. and my brake on that side that day would lock up at every stop. i had to reverse to release enough pressure to move forward again. it was actually the day after i bought it. i wouldnt drive it until its fixed though, because a lockup is not very safe. especially at 55 mph.

How did you get it going after the lock-up?

Even if the front hub engaged, it should not cause anything to lock up... Unless the Axle 'U' joint is so bad it's hitting the Axle Housing.

Back