Groaning front end

PLRBEAR

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EB 4x4
Dear fellow explorers,

I am trying to locate a front end noise that occurs whenever the truck goes over speed bumps slowly. As the suspension compresses, there's this loud squealing,groaning (or somewhere along those lines) kind of noise. LOUD!
I replaced my shocks very recently, so i'd rule those out. The front-end has been checked over and over and over again, and i cannot find anything loose. I am seriously looking at my torsion bars, since the sound is coming from the front and under my feet. Is there anything that contacts the torsion bars when they flex? I'm relatively new to this truck, and this is my first time working with a design like this (i used to be a car guy) :)
Thanks for you help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could be more help, but i have no idea what that sound is. I have the same exact problem and can't figure it out! It's driving me nuts. Someone please help us!

Follow the link from this link:

Dead Link Removed

But that's a clank. Ours sound more like the sea lions at Pier 39! LOL! Sigh.......when will we ever get more light on this. :(

I'm not sure what your setup in the front is compared to my '93 but check all of your bushings. If your x is lifted, the bushings are probably getting a lot more stress now and might crack and break off. My radius arm bushings did that after I lifted mine and I think a different bushing has come off now because I have that same groaning noise again.

Well....the 95+ models don't have radius arms, don't have springs and don't have I-beams. We use control arms, torsion bars for the front end. I tried looking for a bushing kit, but i can't find a company that carries them. I'm just wondering if the torsion bar adjuster nut is loose and needs some tightening or something. This kind of suspension setup is new to me....hell......i'm even new to trucks to begin with! LOL!

i wouldnt tighten the torsion bar nut. that is what everyone does when they say torsion twist. if you tighten it too much, you'll get some extra height ... but i think you may need an alignment.

as for the sound ... no idea, sorry =/
Jeff aka Lamah

Yes, the cold weather is here again. The groaning noise i get from under the truck is back. Anyone got any ideas? I tried spraying synthetic lube on the bushings to see if i could soften them up a little, and i sprayed lube on the part with the Kevlar patch. Noise is still there. :-(

Back