Grounding Out/Electrical Question. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Grounding Out/Electrical Question.

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Ok sooooo im redoing some wires in the Ex... I was wondering if there is any other bolts besides the one under my headers, that can be used for a ground to the battery... Any bolt on the motor work as long as its from motor to battery?

or

can we only use the one i cant get to because of the headers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
also when running new wires for the starter do you have to use the small black plastic that goes around it? or can you use something else?

I have wire sleeve, that has a constant ratting of 1400*f, its the same stuff you would use around your sparkplug when headers are installed. would that be safe enough to use and no black plastic around it?

rickybobby

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I ran my ground to an alternator bolt and it worked great till i wrecked the truck. The sheilding you described sounds far better than the stock plastic peice, i would think that would be fine.

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Sorry i lied, i looked at package again its 1200*f continuous and 2000*f peak. Its the stuff my brother (Harley Davidson Master Mechanic) uses on bike wires... So i was hoping it would be good for our wires, because i cant find that black plastic shielding.. the stock one is shot to hell and back.. previous owner years ago apparently kept cutting it so he could piece wires together.

willindsay

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sevierville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
i ran my ground to an alternator bolt and it worked great till i wrecked the truck. The sheilding you described sounds far better than the stock plastic peice, i would think that would be fine.

x2

willindsay

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sevierville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
ok so then ill have the original stock wire going to frame (fixed) and then from there original motor mount... Then I now have a 0 gauge body, 0 gauge frame. Plus Im gonna add one to the alternator. haha.. Im pretty sure the one going to the frame/motor has internal corrosion, but I cant get to the motor mount cause of the headers.

TY!!!!:D