GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip

hey some of your guys might be following donkey boy..... i have seen him go through some stuff that would have posed problems for stock X like the mud thing in the middel of the woods at connelsville?:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to run the rest of the trails off of route 33 in gwnf sometime this weekend and if I can't make it in a stock Ex then......

donkeyboy will know of some good trails for us to break up on (if he comes) and I know my way around the area well enough to guide some good trails for stockers.

I'll follow right in Michaels tracks!

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by 94EBexplorer
hey some of your guys might be following donkey boy..... i have seen him go through some stuff that would have posed problems for stock X like the mud thing in the middel of the woods at connelsville?:D
Actually, you were ahead of me most of the day ;) I was happy the water was not any deeper in those holes. I don't think my airintake was a lot above "sealevel" anymore. No such danger at GWNF.

Second mountain is closed I believe; at least it was last time I was there in July. Old Long Run and Dry River is fine for stockers. Also Kephart is nice because it's good for stockers up to the end and has an obstacle to play for the lil more built ones. Dictum: If we have some built rigs, we can give it a shot. If we have a group of semi-built rigs and/or courageous people, we can take Dictum down after Old Long (if I find the top entrance to the trail) and try the bypass of the obstacle. RuMan did it in a almost stock Explorer, but it's a kind of scary because you get pretty off-camber inches of a nice 'n nasty drop.
There are plenty of options, and it really depends on how many rigs show up and what the weather is. So at this point, I don't really plan on planing anything (heck, I'm not even sure yet if I can make it to the run)

I hope these pics show up...

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Both of those pics are from the Dry River trails, which are mud pits, river crossings, hills, bumps, rocks, fun overall. Again, I hope the show up...

We just got back from GWNF. We must have gone to wrong trails. We ended up on a 10 mile ATV trail! It was plenty wide for our explorers, but it was all rocks. My '91 explorer didn't have too much trouble, but my friends '97 completely stock had major problems. He got caught up on his brush guard and step bars. I was sure we were going to pop beads on tires, but luckily we didn't. I almost rolled over when my left tire was on a slope and my right slid off a rock. My friend was spotting me and jumped on my bumper which gave me enough weight to back down. Overall we had a great trip, dispite being on the wrong trails. I'll post some pics as soon as I get them developed.

Originally posted by nkexplrr
...We ended up on a 10 mile ATV trail! ...
Oups :D I think the ATV trail is a :nono: for cars. Good that no ATVer showed up and gave you some :frustrate or even :shoot:

Most importantly, you made it back safely. ;) Did you drive the gravel road up to the ATV trail or did you take Old Long Run?

The ATV'ers actually were saying "You guys got balls" but I'm sure they were thinking those guys are complete idiots. I don't know how we got there honestly. the trail was called (something)'s run. Well I don't know but i need some better directions for next time, anybody got any?

The ATV'ers actually were saying "You guys got balls" but I'm sure they were thinking those guys are complete idiots. I don't know how we got there honestly. the trail was called (something)'s run. Well I don't know but i need some better directions for next time, anybody got any?
Just go west on route 33 into GNWF and start finding trails off to the left and right. Second Mt. is a road for a bit and then a trail. Kephart starts right next to Kephart Run (creek). Dry River Starts on the left right before a hill with two guardrails on both sides and crosses the creek - take a left at the dam and follow it all the way back around to the road. Skidmore and Dunkle are further up the mountain on the left and go around the reservoir all the way up to Flagpole and Meadow Knob. Those are ones that I have wheeled on/seen.

I remember the name of the trail TASKER'S RUN. Anybody heard of it? Where were we?

I remember the name of the trail TASKER'S RUN. Anybody heard of it? Where were we?
Really, where the hell were you?

:D I mean really, where the hell were you? :p Actually, I never paid attention to how the ATV trails are called.

I don't know where we were, we found the trail and it had a camp site next to it so we camped and drove on the trail. Well more like scraped and high centered along the trail. ;)

Wheeled on Kephart in GWNF Today...

Kephart was a narrow techinical trail with mud, creek crossings, and some pretty insane rocks for a stock explorer. We had to stack some rocks in a few places to make it. My buddy came with his Jeep YJ. Took us about two hours to make it to waterfall rock and back(obstacle that requires 33's and lockers at least) Here are a few pics...

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

I think Kephart is a trail we should definitely do as a group. It has something for every type of explorer. Just check out those pics and tell me what you think...

VBVASploder, while you were up there did you happen to see any place that I could park my tow rig for the time we are on the trail? I know I keep bringing this up, but I;d hate to make the trip to find out there is no where to leave it.

Chris

Looks like I'm going to have to sit this one out, fellas :( My cash flow (ha! more like trickle) is bone dry right now from the transition between jobs (still trying to catch up on bills 3 months later). Pity, because I was looking forward to meeting all of you :(

If you guys plan another run in spring of next year (IE: tax return time ;) ) I'll be there. Sorry :(

Originally posted by Isles4evr
VBVASploder, while you were up there did you happen to see any place that I could park my tow rig for the time we are on the trail? I know I keep bringing this up, but I;d hate to make the trip to find out there is no where to leave it.

Chris
You could ask McDorman's Gas Station if you could park it there. You might even be able to keep it in the parking lot at my dorm on the JMU's campus (we have a huge gravel lot that is less and 1/6th filled all the time). Not sure about other places though, but those two come to mind right now.

Alright cool. Does anyone here happen to have the phone number to McDorman's? I'll give him a call ahead of time to figure out if I can keep it there for the day.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looked in the local Harrisonburg phone book and got this phone number 540-867-0074 for a McDorman's Grocery Store in Hinton, VA, which I am pretty sure is next to Rawley Springs. There are tons of McDorman's listed in the phone book, but only one Grocer. You might just want to try that number and see what you get.

Back