GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip

Are there some passages that would be passable leaving the x in 2 wheel drive. 4x4 isn't working but I'm trying to fix it this week if this rain will ever let up. I think it is just the motor, but I need to take it off to make sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yob_yeknom - you can ride with me if you want to. I don't think I am gonna camp out anymore, just go from campus here and meet up with people wherever. So, I am sure I will have a seat open for ya.

dgibson - some of the trails are passable in 2WD. My buddy did more than half of Kephart in 2WD with full pressure in his Wrangler. Also, Flagpole Knob is doable in 2WD. Hopefully you can get that fixed and do some serious wheeling.

Originally posted by dgibson
Are there some passages that would be passable leaving the x in 2 wheel drive. 4x4 isn't working but I'm trying to fix it this week if this rain will ever let up. I think it is just the motor, but I need to take it off to make sure.
If all else fails, you can remove the shift motor and manually shift the truck into 4x4.

U-joint, my fault. Damn proper names for things! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jason_25
If all else fails, you can remove the shift motor and manually shift the truck into 4x4.

How would I remove the motor and manually shift to 4x4? Would that be something that I would have to do there? I'm planning on taking the motor off to see if it is just seized up this weekend, but I really want the 4x4 capability. No matter what, I am still coming if for no other reason than to meet everybody, see the other x's and get some more ideas for mine.

Originally posted by donkey boy
:D
What tow rig do you have? Would a gravel road be OK for your tow and trailer? I think there is a place to park where the ATV trails start, at the beginning of Second Mountain. It's a graded gravel road that goes up there. Probably Frisckey1 would know better whether if it's OK to leave a trailer there for a couple of hours or not.

I think it would be fine, we left our truck/trailers there while we fourwheeled without any problems. Kinda tricky finding a turnaround spot though... We went past the big hill down the trail quite a ways until we came to a more narrow trail that branched of into 2 more trails (one was closed off). We parked there because it wasn't clear in the open and we could back down one of the trails with the trailer.

Its Not Taskers Run..Its Taskers Gap

Originally posted by nkexplrr
I remember the name of the trail TASKER'S RUN. Anybody heard of it? Where were we?

And it is an ATV trail in that peters mill system. On an ATV...it is SOOOO easy to loose track of where you are. NExt time we are taking our GPS. There are some SERIOUSLY hairy trails for the fourwheelers/dirtbikes. Very rocky (kills your back) and straight up the mountain with unforgiving drops on eithre side. Too fun!!! VERY close to harrisonburg though.

I know my truck won't be fixed by then. I'm going to try to get just the alignment and headlight fixed so I can drive it and let them fix the fender when I get back. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just drive my POS car up there and ride with you VBVA. I'll be staying at the JMU dorms too, to that would work well.

Doesn't look like I am going to be able to make it. Blew out the wheel bearing on the driver side Friday morning. Took all the way until mid Sat to get it fixed. The plastic spacers and plastic thing for the auto hub are all melted together, so I don't want to take a chance on tearing more up. Especially since I just spent $6000 on the thing in the last month.

Sorry to hear that dgibson. Thats very unfortunate, and sucks royally. I understand how that stuff goes sometimes. Good luck getting it all worked out, and we'll miss having you up here!

Well we are getting down to crunch time. I'm getting excited. We should still have some really nice color for this trip. My brother and I will be staying in the Holiday Inn Express in Harrisonburg.

Have we set a time and place yet?

Happy trails!!

Place: McDorman's Gas/Grocer in Rawley Springs (20 minutes west of H-burg). People staying in Harrisonburg could also meet at a different place for breakfast or something and then meet the rest of the group at the gas station.

Time: Morning sometime. Not to early, not to late. I could be up and gone from JMU's Campus at just about any time.

Also, for those of you who have been to GWNF before, be thinking about trails that you want to run. I have done a few, but not all and don't even know where some are. So come with an idea of what you want to hit on Saturday.

Last time i think we net at like 9AM, that's not to early or to late i don't guess, how does that sound to everyone else?

I don't remember how to get to the gas station from h-burg, that's sad! haha

I don't remember any of the names of the trails we were on. I'd like to try some challenging stuff, but i'm up for what ever!

Happy trails!!

Alright fellas, it is less than a week away. Who all is leaving out of the richmond area and wants to meet? I am not sure on how to get there so i'd rather follow. I believe I am gona take the "chance" and drive her up there, sinc ei just got plates, so i won;t have to worry about the trailer thing.

Chris

9am works for me.

From Richmond...I-64 West to I-81 North into Harrisonburg. Then get off at exit (246 or 247) Rt. 33 West. This puts you on Market Street. Bear with it, it goes right through "downtown Harrisonburg." Just stay on Rt. 33 West through town and continue on to the West. Rawley Springs is about 20 minutes outside of Harrisonburg. McDorman's gas station is a small two pump station on the left (when heading west) with a white house next to it. There is a rail fence along a small parking lot, just put it there when you get there. If you get to Rawley Springs Mennonite Church you have gone too far.

As far as trails go, the only hard ones I know of are Dictum Ridge (still can't find the entrance) and Kephart (which I did up to waterfall rock in a stock Ex with minor body damage and rock stacking). Go to this website and find GWNF stuff and where the trails are and let me know what you guys wanna do. Off-Roading in GWNF (Jeeps)

I would like to run Dictum Ridge if we could find it... i like the look of the "rock." Kephart looks like it could be pretty interesting also.

Chris

I have looked for Dictum everytime I have been out there, but can't see it for some reason. Maybe with thinner trees we might be able to see it. I could make Dictum up to the rock and then watch you guys go for it. Kephart is interesting and waterfall rock is pretty nasty. There are lots of trails that can be run!

Yeah I am pretty excited for this weekend right now. I am assembling all my trial gear, trying to find out what I need to go buy and what not.

Who all is bringing a camera? I don't have a digital, but will probably borrow my friends dig. or just take my reg cannon with a roll or 2 of film and get them developed onto a CD.

Chris

damn sure wish I was still going. Sounds like you guys are going to have one hell of a time. Figured it would be better if I just waited until I got the hubs fixed. Should probably be next week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Isles4evr
Who all is bringing a camera? I don't have a digital, but will probably borrow my friends dig. or just take my reg cannon with a roll or 2 of film and get them developed onto a CD.

Chris

I'll bet close to everyone will have a digital Camera. I'll have one, my brother will too. Seems like last time every time we stopped everyone was snapping shots!

Happy trails!!

Back