Had a bad day. need help on A/C (1993 Sport) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Had a bad day. need help on A/C (1993 Sport)

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
Welcome to my nightmare......
Was finishing up a head gasket job on my '93, and I had ripped up (direction) the silver insulation on the A/C housing. So before putting the valve cover back on, I thought I would take the opportunity to re-staple down the insulation. From under the vehicle, bending the fender well aside, I tried to get an electric stapler to re-staple it back to the underside of the housing. I couldn't position it, but had an idea.I COULD get a drill up there, and I had gotten a bunch of extra flanged screws at the U-Pull-it earlier in the week that I thought would be short enough to not hit anything inside.

I thought wrong.

First question, How do you get the housing off the fire wall? The Haynes is of little help.

Second Q, What is that thing inside called? The evaporator, or the condenser?

3rd, do I REALLY need a new drier? money's tight.

Thanks you any help.
George

Edit: Forgot to mention my system is a 134A. FWIW.

Was finally able to get the coil out. It said R-12 on the housing (this IS a '93 after all), but I know it was running R-134A when I bought it 10 years ago. Been putting R-134A in it ever since (when it got low). The coil has "Part No. EPF-10003" with a manufacture date of 1998. I did a google search and came up with nothing. Can I just get any ol' evaporator coil that is listed for a '93 explorer, or is this a R-134A specific part that would have been put in at the time of the conversion prior to me owning it?

Glacier? You out there? I need some help.
George

Edit: I also went ahead and bought a NEW drier. I found one on Ebay for $10 and the guy ships out of Memphis, so he said I can just drop by tomorrow and pick it up. If anybody else needs one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_956

Cancel that Ebay part. It's not for this Ford. The line out for the compressor (?) doesn't have a 90 degree bend. $10 stupid tax.

On a separate note, I have noticed all the threads that get moved to this forum and never get responded to. I guess no A/C experts frequent this forum, because I and a few others have asked some very basic questions and ...... no response. Is this like, "look at these idiots. If they don't know enough to get the housing off the wall, just let them struggle through it themselves"?

I finally found the third nut that was holding me up. it was a "female dog" to get to. I went to U-Pull-It this morning and got an evaporator coil off a '93 that was running R-12. I will flush it tomorrow afternoon, install a new orifice tube I got tonight, and install the housing so I can put the rest of my engine back together and see if it runs. Then I will pick up a new (correct) accumulator and drive it to a repair shop and get them to vacuum and fill my system. Thanks for all the help, guys.

Back