Had the Gibson exhaust installed today ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Had the Gibson exhaust installed today ...

Gianni D

Reaction score
City, State
Quakertown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT V6 (SOLD)
Fit and finish are extremely good ...

Drove the car for 30 miles and I can definitively feel better pickup and the engine revs easier. Sound is a nice v8 rumble (got the sohc engine), but this exhaust has a noticeable drone at 2300rpm. I don't know if this is going to get better as it breaks in ...

I think the corsa exhaust I had on my GTO spoiled me a lil' bit too much ... lol

I would like to know if other Gibson owners agree with me ...

G

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a flowmaster on my explorer, but i felt like commenting anyways!

I also know what the Corsa on a 5.7 sounds like. A family member had a 02 vette with it. and MY GOD is it loud, and AWSOME.

Good luck man, and i hope you get it sounding the way you want.

I only had the cat-back (sport) and an intake, but it sounded like a beast.

I like how the gibson sounds, it's just that I think it has way too much drone.

G

the vette im reffering to had header back exhaust from em i believe. It also had a cold air intake so, as you can imagine, it was very nice.

I have the Gibson also on my SOHC. I've had it since the summer and I can say that the drone at 2300RPM has gotten a little better, or maybe i've just gotten used to it. Either way, you'll get used to it. The power increase is way worth it.

I've been driving the X for a while now and I have mixed feelings about this exhaust. I don't know if the weather is playing a factor here (single digits here in Cleveland), but it seems like the annoying 2000rpm drone comes and goes. Sometimes it sounds like the oem exhaust and sometimes I feel I'm driving the honda I used to own when I was in my ricer days.

It's louder at lower rpms than higher rpms which is new to me.

I have gotten some compliments and I have been asked if it's a V8.

I will keep updating ...

G

I had a gibson on a 98 f150 (missed) and it started quiet and had some kinda funny sounding spots but after quite a while like about 6k miles it began to break in and really sounded good nice choice with the gibson

from what I understand, gibson mufflers are pretty quiet. I have the IMCO extreme single chamber muffler and it drones at all RPMS lol

I have the Gibson also. THe drone is there but it's not real bad. I got rid of some of it by wrapping the pipes with exhaust wrap;however, this does have negitive effects if not done properly...(RUST)

Back