Had to get rid of her

swetrid

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
I finally had to let go of my 2001 Explorer. It was pretty good over the years but recently had alot of issues. The transmission finally took a dump after 140K miles and had to just recently replace the RS exhaust manifold, driver door latch, LF wheel bearing, AC compressor and LF upper control arm. I just couldn't see putting anymore into it even though it was in near mint condition. Worst part was I had to trade my 2012 Mustang Gt and the Explorer and get 1 car but I couldn't afford 2 car payments. I did buy a Ford Flex with Ecoboost though which is a very nice vehicle and it flies!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry. But someone should get a pretty nice 01' Explorer off the used car lot.

The transmission finally took a dump after 140K miles and had to just recently replace the RS exhaust manifold, driver door latch, LF wheel bearing, AC compressor and LF upper control arm.
thats nothing compared to what some of us put up with ;)

I finally had to let go of my 2001 Explorer. It was pretty good over the years but recently had alot of issues. The transmission finally took a dump after 140K miles and had to just recently replace the RS exhaust manifold, driver door latch, LF wheel bearing, AC compressor and LF upper control arm. I just couldn't see putting anymore into it even though it was in near mint condition. Worst part was I had to trade my 2012 Mustang Gt and the Explorer and get 1 car but I couldn't afford 2 car payments. I did buy a Ford Flex with Ecoboost though which is a very nice vehicle and it flies!

I just paid $1300 to have a band fixed in my tranny. It has some minor issues with a couple other things but it uses no oil. New vehicles are way expensive and if a person buys a well used one it may easily need repairs just like the Ex.

That said there is a time for everything. Do what you need to, and good luck!

Sorry you had to get rid of the Ex. Hope you decide to stick around ;)

I just paid $1300 to have a band fixed in my tranny. It has some minor issues with a couple other things but it uses no oil. New vehicles are way expensive and if a person buys a well used one it may easily need repairs just like the Ex.

That said there is a time for everything. Do what you need to, and good luck!

That sounds a little expensive to have just a band replaced in your trans. I figured for that price you could have completely rebuilt one installed. At least my 2000 xlt that's about what it cost me 2 1/2 years ago..

I'd take headaches over a car payment any day... good luck with the Flex though..

Si

I'd usually agree, but when you have a high demand job and very fast paced life, fixing a car constantly freaking sucks. To me, sometimes time is money and I'd rather be spending time with family when I actually have days off than fixing an old truck.

I cant wait for the day I get a new vehicle sometimes, haha.

I'd usually agree, but when you have a high demand job and very fast paced life, fixing a car constantly freaking sucks. To me, sometimes time is money and I'd rather be spending time with family when I actually have days off than fixing an old truck.

I cant wait for the day I get a new vehicle sometimes, haha.

i totally understand what you're saying. when i was still working, i bought a brand new vehicle every 2-3 years, because i had to be at work on time everyday and i had a long commute. if i had a breakdown it was repaired under warranty while i drove a dealership supplied rental/loaner. now that i'm retired, i can't imagine ever buying new again. too much money up front and the depreciation is ridiculous. i've always enjoyed working on cars, i'm pretty good at it, don't drive that much anymore, and i have multiple vehicles, so a breakdown isn't a big problem for me. if requires a tow, my auto insurance covers it for about $6 a year. do what makes sense for you.

What was the cause of failure for the 4r70W - seems a bit premature. Was it maintained since new?

That sounds a little expensive to have just a band replaced in your trans. I figured for that price you could have completely rebuilt one installed. At least my 2000 xlt that's about what it cost me 2 1/2 years ago..

I probably paid too much, I don't know. Maybe I should have checked with you folks first to see if that sounded fair.

It's hard to drive it all over town to get quotes when I have two jobs. Shifts nice now, though.....

thats nothing compared to what some of us put up with ;)

Ain't that the truth! I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to narrow down a driveline vibration in my gf's Explorer... Mine's still giving me no headaches... I'm taking Christmas off tho... haha...

Si

i totally understand what you're saying. when i was still working, i bought a brand new vehicle every 2-3 years, because i had to be at work on time everyday and i had a long commute. if i had a breakdown it was repaired under warranty while i drove a dealership supplied rental/loaner. now that i'm retired, i can't imagine ever buying new again. too much money up front and the depreciation is ridiculous. i've always enjoyed working on cars, i'm pretty good at it, don't drive that much anymore, and i have multiple vehicles, so a breakdown isn't a big problem for me. if requires a tow, my auto insurance covers it for about $6 a year. do what makes sense for you.

Exactly. Life is situational.

Back