I regret getting rid of my ex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I regret getting rid of my ex

1997green

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I got rid of my explorer for a escape in april-ish. I wish I never did that. The V6 escape doesnt seem to get much better MPG, you get a louder interior that you can see is entry level suv. BAsicly what Iam getting at is I miss my explorer and if your thinking of getting rid of yours, really think about it cause the explorer is the best suv/car ive owned. It had problems but it was useful. You can take it off the road, you can go through snow nicely. Iam gonna start saving to get a 1999-2001 eddie bauer which prices seem to be dropping since I bought my escape.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've owned a bunch of vehicles, 2 of which were Explorers, and my current vehicle is a Z28. To make a long story short, the Z is for sale and I'm looking for another Explorer. It's hard to beat them.

I agree, i owned a 1991 EB for about 10 years, it was totaled in an accident. I decided to buy a 1999 Honda Accord which i owned for about 3 years. I sold it in January of this year and bought my 06 XLT. I once again smile when i go out driving. I am once again proud to tell people what i drive. I think is the American Pride:usa:. The Honda was good but i am so glad i own a Ford again.

my last 3 vehicles were fords...and I owned 3 or 4 others ( a couple of BMW's in there)...mostly mustangs and expy's...and a probe GT
I love my ford, poor gas milage and quirkiness and all...proud to be an buy an american

deceiving title on this thread, i was like "NOOO DUDE!! DONT TAKE HER BACK!!" :rolleyes: Then I read it and was like oooohh his explorer ok...yeah i refuse to get rid of mine, i wanted something else, so i bought a chevy Z71. I still have my explorer. (And i still hate my ex!)

I regret getting a newer one. The '94XLT was a tank. I could have lifted it so much easier than this new one. Somehow it got better gas mileage.:confused: . And uh, the trunk was a lot more "spacious" (especially when the seats were folded down), seeing as it how it was a four door.
All in all, I'm beginning my second semester of commuting at college, so a Corolla is going to be my main mode of transport. But I still love my X, so she's going to be the garage ornament, and my fun car.

I am actually looking to dump my 'ploder, but after sopping around, I am just so completely underwhelmed. I say a 2000 4runner, expecting to be impressed and was just downright unimpressed. The newer Xs, like mp88 said, are just kinda cheap feeling...I almost find myself wanting to just find a 2000-2001 V8 explorer and staying with the 2nd gen. Hate to say it, but I would take a nice red eddie V8 2001 X before taking a new car...they all seem so bloated and mini-van like these days.

I really like how smooth it rides, the independent rear axle makes for a decent ride. I thought about buying a ranger, but the solid rear axle just makes the ride so bad. How ever i did not want a minivan, or AWD i wanted true 4x4. Don't get me wrong you will never confuse the ride of a 3rd or 4th gen to the ride of a unibody suv, but still its good enough for me. I know that its nothing like a Jeep Wrangler, nore does it come close to some of the explores on this site but i like it, and will be keeping it seeing that i just bought it in January 08.

I miss my old EX she had a nice set of.....ummmm....o you mean the car ok. I love my EX the only thing i would replace it with a 01 with a SOHC and dark gray on the inside.

You should buy my wife's 97 explorer if you miss yours! lol
I'm not a big fan of the Escape either. Lots of road noise and feels like an underpowered car.

You should buy my wife's 97 explorer if you miss yours! lol
I'm not a big fan of the Escape either. Lots of road noise and feels like an underpowered car.

I wish I had money to buy a explorer.

Yes the escape is very noisey, I thought it was just the tires when I bought it. 0-60 its pretty good. 60mph+ is when the struggle happens.

Yup, try sitting in back. It's actually almost uncomfortable because of the noise on the freeway.

Reminds me of the time...

During one of the prior fuel crises--"78-77" i think, my brother sold his big Ford pickup because of the gas mileage, and bought a Toyota pickup--in those days, they were very basic. He kept it all of 3 months, and was back to a big Ford pickup. the gas prices stabilized (at about 1.50 a gallon-1977)
and he was happy.
Bottom Line--Don't jump from your Explorer :roll: just because of mileage--weigh all your options, and then decide..
Bill W
38N121W

Back