Hard Start ( sometimes ) 2003 Sport 4.0 V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard Start ( sometimes ) 2003 Sport 4.0 V6

Dave02EX

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt sport
Ive got an 2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4x4 4.0 V6 Auto w 51'000 K miles.
Love the truck, Fuel tank could be larger but besides that I love it. Anyhow since ive purchased the truck back in oct 2006 every once in awhile like say 2-3 times per month ( this will happen ) I'll jump into the truck turn the key and it will crank crank crank but wont fire intill i put the gas peddle down to the floor then it will fire and putter for a few seconds and emit a very gas smelly blue cloud of smoke from the exhaust. There are No codes and this only happens once in a while like 2-3 times per month.

So I go to ford and as i start explaining my problem to the service manager he stops me and tells me his wifes 03 Ranger does the same thing once in a blue moon he told me its got to do with the MAP sensor being finiky he told me i could change it or have it changed but he couldnt guarntee it would fix it.

Now my question for you guys is... isnt the sensor eaither Good or Bad not an inbetween? and does my 4.0 have an MAP sensor? i thought it was an Mass air sensor set-up on the SOHC 4.0ls

anyhow if anyone else has experienced this problem what did ya do to cure the problem?

thanks
Dave

P.S

Ive changed the fuel filter and that didnt help.

Back