Hard starting - gas odor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard starting - gas odor

texyank

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
My Ex has always started as soon as you barely touched the key. Lately its taking a little longer to crank; 2-3 seconds. Certainly not long but far longer than usual. I've also detected a slight gas odor after running it a couple miles. I can't pinpoint exactly where the smell is coming from and have been unable to spot any leaks. Occasionally I get a brief whiff in the cabin. Then, this morning I started it to let it warm a bit and the idle was a little erratic. It started well then nearly stalled, then caught back up again and idled typically for a while, then nearly stalled again. It did this several times for the first minute or two, then leveled out. Gas mileage has decreased slightly since this started about two weeks ago. The CEL has not come on, there are no codes. Where do I start to look for issues?

Specs:
1997 Explorer Sport
152,000 miles
4.0 SOHC
FWD

Symptoms:
Slightly hard starting
Stumbling when idling cold
Slight gasoline odor after running a while
Diminished fuel mileage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be something with the evap. return ie. cracked charcoal canister, split hose etc...
I'd check that along with your fuel filter, all the lines, the fuel rail and pressure regulator.

Any updates? I'm curious

Haven't had an opportunity to look at it. I don't have a garage so must do everything in the driveway. The weather hasn't been very cooperative.

More than likely your oxygen sensor. It should throw you a check engine light which will allow you to get a code when scan, if this is the case.

Make sure if you start getting an EGR excessive flow code to check your fuel pump O ring first !! mine has been hard to start at times on and off for a little over a year now ... I finally got tired of having to prime it by cycling the key on/off in about 5 times before starting and went to NAPA and bought a new fuel pump. Wasn't bad at all changing it, I cut the access panel under the rear seat. I didn't even remove both rear seats. I just pressed the lift lever and pushed the rear drivers side seat forward about halfway and took the 2 - 14mm bolts holding the seat frame in place and lifted it up and over the upper portion and took the one bolt out of the plastic piece I believe it was 10mm, then cut the plastic reinforcement into where its narrow and viola!! unfold the carpet and you're at the metal ... literally 10 mins. at most. Anyways it ran ok for about 4 days then started missing worse and worse and throwing the EGR codes ... listening to the local parts stores I spent about $160 replacing the EGR, then the DPFE sensor and the EGR solenoid. It turned out to be the O ring that goes on the fuel pump stem on top of the fuel pump assembly ... it was split and not holding pressure. I am in the process of finding one now, however they tell me I have to buy the complete assembly to get it and thats $339 ... no way I'm paying that for a lil rubber O ring. If anyone knows where to find one please post it !! ... hope this helps and good luck ... RSM

Could be bad gas. Burn through it, refill and let us know if you still have the problem.

No its not bad gas ... the garage I took it to made a gasket/o ring ... and it ran all day fine with no misses ... except when starting ... I had to prime it 4-6 key turns , but then it done fine until I shut it off and parked it overnight ... now its back at the garage and won't start at all ... I bought some adhesive thats sup. to be gas/alcohol and oil resistant and doctored the original o ring ... thats about the most rediculous thing I have ever heard of ... they will sell the fuel pump seperate, the float sensor seperate and all other parts seperate except an o ring !?!?!?!? wish me luck I'm not buying a new unit for around $350 after tax for an o ring ... I'll let it sit and rust first !! ... RSM

Back