Hard Starting on Cold, Windy Days | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard Starting on Cold, Windy Days

Altaman

Reaction score
A couple of times I some tense moments starting my stock '92 Explorer. Both times I was sking in the Sierras and the truck was sitting in the parking lot. It wasn't real cold(below 0) maybe 10-15, but the wind was blowing pretty good-30-40mph.

When I'd turn the key there would be a series of clicking sounds(solinoid?). One time after about 3 clicks the starter engaged and it started. Another time, after the clicking, I turned the key off and tried to restart and it started fine.

Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing/fixing/replacing first, second, third......:scratch:

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check all your battery connections for corrosion. Also, how old is the battery? Could be the battery is on it's way out. I suggest load testing it.

...Altaman, you should add your location next to your name so you may receive more local help for future inquiries...;)

...You probably need new cables as your old ones are probably corroded inside the sheathing, very common problem...

...These are for a 91-94 X...

...I had to just verify with napaonline.com

Positive cable Item#: CBL717993
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...r=717993&Description=Battery+Cable+-+Positive
631838.jpg

...Negative cable Item#: CBL717991
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...r=717991&Description=Battery+Cable+-+Negative
853414.jpg

Note: there is a problem on the wording of the negative cable on that link (it says positive)...Those are the exact items for my 91 and they show for the 94 also, so it's good info..After searching for mine, those were the BEST cables I have found to date..:biggthump

mine did that and i had to replace the battery cables. i ended up replacing both the ground and power just remember when you replace the ground clean off where it bolts to the frame or in the case with mine it bolted to the engine block as well. clean it and hit it with sanding paper to get the metal shining. for a good ground.

Thanks for all the advice. I started to look at replacing the battery leads-it looked like serious work in some small places. Then I noticed the neg bat lead was a little loose on the post. I could spin the lead on the post and the bolt wouldn't tighten any further. Also the wire going from the neg post grounding to the to body was corroded through.

I replaced the bolt, repaired the body ground wire and cleaned the bat posts. Everything seems fine now. There were no problems the last 2 trips. The coldest part of the ski season is passed so I'll let the battery lead replacement go untill the summer, although it's 75* here today(San Diego) and it seems like summer already.

Again, thanks for all the help. :salute:

Back