Hard to find answers 2017 PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard to find answers 2017 PIU

Gabeodog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer PIU
Hey Gang,

First time poster here, I have a few questions if you guy's don't mind. I have looked and read and done searches but I cannot find what I am looking for.

I know these have been answered in the past but i'll give it a shot, Please be kind..
I have a 2017 PIU (non Sync)
No Sirius button on center console.
no auto lights.
No Aux line in.

I have bought a new CD head unit (eBay used) that has the yellow plug as well.
I have purchased the auto headlamp selector Switch to replace old non Auto.
I have purchased the antenna extender to the kick panel for sirius.
I have purchased the Sun load sensor for the center of the dash for Autolamp.
And finally, the "hood closed switch ".
And I am A 0k with forscan (purchased as well)

So Here Are the questions.

Can I swap Head unit out to have the ability for sirius (I know its a subscription)?
Can I ad AUX in? Sure there is a kit out there. Just don't Know.
And With the purchased items can i have automatic headlight?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And With the purchased items can i have automatic headlight?

It appears that auto headlights require BCM modification in order to work even with those parts. I did exactly what you did, and now with the switch in "auto" position, the lights come on any time ignition is on, so sort of like DRLs + taillights. My dealer assigned one of their best techs to try to reprogram to get auto headlights to work, but was unsuccessful. It appears that the sun load sensor harness is in there, but needs to be plugged into the BCM. That said, mine is an early 2017, your mileage may vary.

On my 14 I had to run wiring from the sun load sensor to the BCM. Switch was plug and play to swap out. Then had to program BCM with forscan to make it work.

It appears that auto headlights require BCM modification in order to work even with those parts. I did exactly what you did, and now with the switch in "auto" position, the lights come on any time ignition is on, so sort of like DRLs + taillights. My dealer assigned one of their best techs to try to reprogram to get auto headlights to work, but was unsuccessful. It appears that the sun load sensor harness is in there, but needs to be plugged into the BCM. That said, mine is an early 2017, your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the info

I added auto headlights and they work fine. Install sensor, change switch, enable with forscan.

Ten minutes work on my 2017 piu.

I added auto headlights and they work fine. Install sensor, change switch, enable with forscan.

Do you happen to have what all you changed with FORscan?

@Gabeodog great amount of info in an easy to follow format. Great way to ask for help.

Check out the forscan thread in this forum

Just curious as I am about to do the same (once I learn a little more on the Forscan and play around with it) Was the wiring already there for the sensor? Any chance you know any details on adding fog-lights? I bought a new headlight switch that has the Foglight button, but haven't seen much discussion on the wiring to add them, using the factory button. ( know I could always wire to aftermarket switch, but want to keep the clean OEM look.

Do you happen to have what all you changed with FORscan?

@Gabeodog great amount of info in an easy to follow format. Great way to ask for help.

Don't use the "As built" in the BCM. Use the option below it and it will show you all the selections you need to change.

OK, I managed to get auto headlights working properly in my 2017 FPIU after several days of trial and error. All exterior lights are off when the vehicle thinks that it is day, and all exterior lights are on when the vehicle thinks that it is night.

First I installed what Ford calls a "Sun Load Temperature Sensor" in the center of the dash. The wires were there but they were connected to a plastic cap. If you have the cap it will be flat, if you have the sensor it will be convex. The part number that I ordered (and was on the sealed Ford package) is DG9Z-13A018-E, but the number on the actual part is DG9T-14A597-BC.

Then I installed what Ford calls a "Headlamp Switch" with the auto position. The part number that I used is GB5T-13D061-CCW. Unfortunately this switch has a fog lamp button too, and while I would love to get fog lamps I don't think I'm prewired for them plus I have a feeling that the brace for my push bar would inhibit their installation. I have a Standard Motor Products HLS1755 on order that has auto but doesn't have a button for fog lamps.

Then I changed all kinds of settings in FORScan in the BdyCM and IPC (yes, I know, bad idea to do a bunch at once) to what I thought auto headlamps would require. No dice. The headlamps would come on when the vehicle was on, and turn off when the vehicle was off. I tested the sun load sensor by putting a 1000 lumen LED DEWALT light right on top of it while the switch was in auto, and the backlighting on all of the climate controls and radio would turn off, and the lights in the instrument panel would brighten. Obviously the sun load sensor and switch were doing *something*. So I started tweaking all kinds of settings in FORScan again. No dice.

I have a friend with a 2014 Escape with auto headlights from the factory, so I decided to look at his BdyCM and IPC to see what the settings were. Figured it couldn't hurt to try to duplicate them as close as possible, although I knew there would be different options. I noticed that his "Rain Sensor" was disabled in the IPC, and the "Auto Light Sensor" was disabled in the BdyCM. Apparently the "Auto Light Sensor" and "Ambient Light Sensor" do two different things. I had all of those sensors enabled because they sounded like things that would allow auto headlights to work. I think that the "Rain Light Sensor" disable is when mine actually started working.

I'd also like to change over to the OEM style explorer headlamps at some point with the LED strips, so these settings (I'm hoping) will be ready for those to work with the DRLs. I also disabled everything fog lamp related which I won't list here.

Here are all of my current settings which may or may not be relevant, but they are working properly with these settings;

IPC:
Adaptive Headlamps - Disabled
Adaptive Headlamps Traffic - Disabled
Auto Highbeam Telltale - Enabled
Auto Highbeam Option in Productivity Screen - Enabled
Autolamp Delay Menu - Enabled
Daytime Running Lamps - Enabled
Daytime Running Lamps Menu - Enabled
LED Low Beam Fault Indicator - Disabled
Rain Sensor - *DISABLED*

BdyCM:
Allowed DRL Options - All Options
Ambient Light Sensor - Enabled
Ambient Light Sensor Type - Fast (This is optional. Slow will delay the lights going on/off a bit, fast is.. well.. fast. I tested this too.)
Ambient Lighting Feature - Disabled
DRL Conditions - Option A (I tried B also, and all of the lights were on even when the sensor thought it was day, but they were a *bit* more dim.)
DRL Lamp Circuit Usage - DRL Only
DRL by Autolamps Initial Value - Enabled
DRL by Autolamps Personal 1 - Disabled
DRL by Autolamps Personal 2 - Disabled
DRL by Autolamps Personal 3 - Disabled
DRL by Autolamps Personal 4 - Disabled
DRL by Autolamps Vehicle - Enabled
DRL Configuration Action - Dedicated DRL
Daytime Running Lights Includes Parklamps - Enabled
Park Lamp Types - Position Only
Rain Light Sensor - *DISABLED*
Rain Sensor - *DISABLED*
Using DRL with Turn Signal - Allowed (I hate the way vehicles look when the lights flash off when the turn signal flashes on haha.)

Hope this helps some people to struggle a bit less than I did.

OK, I managed to get auto headlights working properly in my 2017 FPIU after several days of trial and error. All exterior lights are off when the vehicle thinks that it is day, and all exterior lights are on when the vehicle thinks that it is night.

First I installed what Ford calls a "Sun Load Temperature Sensor" in the center of the dash. The wires were there but they were connected to a plastic cap. If you have the cap it will be flat, if you have the sensor it will be convex. The part number that I ordered (and was on the sealed Ford package) is DG9Z-13A018-E, but the number on the actual part is DG9T-14A597-BC.

Then I installed what Ford calls a "Headlamp Switch" with the auto position. The part number that I used is GB5T-13D061-CCW. Unfortunately this switch has a fog lamp button too, and while I would love to get fog lamps I don't think I'm prewired for them plus I have a feeling that the brace for my push bar would inhibit their installation. I have a Standard Motor Products HLS1755 on order that has auto but doesn't have a button for fog lamps.

Then I changed all kinds of settings in FORScan in the BdyCM and IPC (yes, I know, bad idea to do a bunch at once) to what I thought auto headlamps would require. No dice. The headlamps would come on when the vehicle was on, and turn off when the vehicle was off. I tested the sun load sensor by putting a 1000 lumen LED DEWALT light right on top of it while the switch was in auto, and the backlighting on all of the climate controls and radio would turn off, and the lights in the instrument panel would brighten. Obviously the sun load sensor and switch were doing *something*. So I started tweaking all kinds of settings in FORScan again. No dice.

I have a friend with a 2014 Escape with auto headlights from the factory, so I decided to look at his BdyCM and IPC to see what the settings were. Figured it couldn't hurt to try to duplicate them as close as possible, although I knew there would be different options. I noticed that his "Rain Sensor" was disabled in the IPC, and the "Auto Light Sensor" was disabled in the BdyCM. Apparently the "Auto Light Sensor" and "Ambient Light Sensor" do two different things. I had all of those sensors enabled because they sounded like things that would allow auto headlights to work. I think that the "Rain Light Sensor" disable is when mine actually started working.

I'd also like to change over to the OEM style explorer headlamps at some point with the LED strips, so these settings (I'm hoping) will be ready for those to work with the DRLs. I also disabled everything fog lamp related which I won't list here.

Here are all of my current settings which may or may not be relevant, but they are working properly with these settings;

IPC:
Adaptive Headlamps - Disabled
Adaptive Headlamps Traffic - Disabled
Auto Highbeam Telltale - Enabled
Auto Highbeam Option in Productivity Screen - Enabled
Autolamp Delay Menu - Enabled
Daytime Running Lamps - Enabled
Daytime Running Lamps Menu - Enabled
LED Low Beam Fault Indicator - Disabled
Rain Sensor - *DISABLED*

BdyCM:
Allowed DRL Options - All Options
Ambient Light Sensor - Enabled
Ambient Light Sensor Type - Fast (This is optional. Slow will delay the lights going on/off a bit, fast is.. well.. fast. I tested this too.)
Ambient Lighting Feature - Disabled
DRL Conditions - Option A (I tried B also, and all of the lights were on even when the sensor thought it was day, but they were a *bit* more dim.)
DRL Lamp Circuit Usage - DRL Only
DRL by Autolamps Initial Value - Enabled
DRL by Autolamps Personal 1 - Disabled
DRL by Autolamps Personal 2 - Disabled
DRL by Autolamps Personal 3 - Disabled
DRL by Autolamps Personal 4 - Disabled
DRL by Autolamps Vehicle - Enabled
DRL Configuration Action - Dedicated DRL
Daytime Running Lights Includes Parklamps - Enabled
Park Lamp Types - Position Only
Rain Light Sensor - *DISABLED*
Rain Sensor - *DISABLED*
Using DRL with Turn Signal - Allowed (I hate the way vehicles look when the lights flash off when the turn signal flashes on haha.)

Hope this helps some people to struggle a bit less than I did.
As far as the fog lights go...
They had Royalty! That means they were a ROYAL PAIN IN THE _ _ _ to install.
I had to remove the Setina, the entire bumper and the fenders. Then the wiring... I said the heck with it and hooked them up to the appropriate turn signal! Now THAT turned out to be awesome looking. I have these huge LED yellow turn signals and when the emergency flashers
(4 way signals) are on they REALLY show up.
The only time I drive in the fog is usually early morning and, just like when I drove semi, my emergency flashers (4 way signals) are on to warn everyone (front and back) that I am there and driving slower than the speed limit.
I also have a sequential bar neatly mounted on the middle of the trunk lid for the people in back of me. NO EXCUSES that they didn't see me.

I also have a sequential bar neatly mounted on the middle of the trunk lid for the people in back of me. NO EXCUSES that they didn't see me.
Unless they were on the cell phone. ;)

Peter

So true.
Today my better half saw some girl go through a solid red light on a scooter.
How she managed to miss all the vehicles was beyond belief.
At least 3 vehicles from each side of the street that had the green already went through.

Back