Adding Sirius after the fact? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Sirius after the fact?

P

PIUtility

Well... between my issues with my cell carrier, and getting burnt out on the same USB stick of music, I'm considering going back to Sirius after dumping them for 6 years ago. I've added OEM gear to several car makes over the years, including navigation to a BMW and PhatNoise musickeg to an Audi with XM already installed (both companies said it couldnt be done).

If I end up biting the bullet and crawling back, I assume a simple antenna, receiver box and cable purchase is all that is necessary? I should have looked when I had my radio out to install a kenwood sub, but didnt think to look for an unoccupied socket on the back. I have the standard Sync on the base model radio. I know on Honda I had to use a factory Y-adapter harness to add an Ipod adapter to the radio which used the XM radio plug, maybe this is something similar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of antenna do you have? Does it look like this picture? If so, I wonder if you may have the antenna you need since in vehicles with Sirius, the antenna is in the base. Unfortunately, I don't know how to verify that. Sirius is optional on the base model so perhaps the same antenna is used for all.

Peter

Attachments

• PC180279a.jpg
    PC180279a.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 474

What kind of antenna do you have? Does it look like this picture? If so, I wonder if you may have the antenna you need since in vehicles with Sirius, the antenna is in the base. Unfortunately, I don't know how to verify that. Sirius is optional on the base model so perhaps the same antenna is used for all.

Peter

that's the antenna I have, but I'm ditching that regardless for a "hidden" antenna for my work UHF radio.

Yes factory Ford Sirius can be added. I just did it in a 2013 PI Sedan. I love to hack these things. First if you have sync the ACM may or may not have Sirius installed already. Pulling the ACM out is a breeze in the utility. I have done other mods such as enabling factory keyless entry and remote start...no wiring needed. I also enabled and added aux audio for non sync equipped PIs. Fun stuff but you need dealer software and hardware to do it (its all programming).

Jason

Yes factory Ford Sirius can be added. I just did it in a 2013 PI Sedan. I love to hack these things. First if you have sync the ACM may or may not have Sirius installed already. Pulling the ACM out is a breeze in the utility. I have done other mods such as enabling factory keyless entry and remote start...no wiring needed. I also enabled and added aux audio for non sync equipped PIs. Fun stuff but you need dealer software and hardware to do it (its all programming).

Jason

Usually when the modules are installed, they default to channel 00 or 01 for previews and activation info. If I hit the Sirius button, it stays on whatever input I'm on currently and displays a Contact Dealer for More Info message

Usually when the modules are installed, they default to channel 00 or 01 for previews and activation info. If I hit the Sirius button, it stays on whatever input I'm on currently and displays a Contact Dealer for More Info message

Yes and a dealer will be of no help. I did some research earlier this morning when I couldn't sleep and was looking at ebay for used Explorer ACM (audio control modules). Saw one from a squad with sync and it did not have Sirius in the ACM. So you would have start there with picking up a used 13 ACM with Sirius in it. Then you have to use IDS (Ford Service Software) to do a PMI (Programmable Module Installation) and then hack the ABD (As Built Data)for the FCDIM (Front Control/Display Interface Module) and ACM and viola....you will have Sirius. Oh yes you will need the antenna harness and antenna itself if you don't have it. When I did the sedan I just picked up a $20 used Sirius mag mount antenna that had the correct Fakra connector to mate to the ACM.

Since you still have to buy a subscription, would it not be easier to just take advantage of one of the Sirius deals where you get a radio c/w vehicle installation kit?

Peter

Many ways to skin a cat....some prefer to stay OEM as much as possible, some don't.

Jesus, didnt realize the integration was that much of a pain in the arse. With Honda, BMW and Audi, it was simply adding/modifying a harness, and plugging things in. No need for a computer (save for a few things on BMW) but this is a whole new level of boneheadedness.

Vehicles are computer networks these days. Not much is just plug and play in the sense of no software programming required. For instance adding OEM remote start....requires adding the hood pin and then programming it with IDS. Also dark car used to be a wire on the old Vics....now its programming via IDS. Nothing else....

Time involved in adding Sirius if I had the vehicle from start to finish (minus the potential antenna issue). 30 minutes....

Ok got it figured out. Adding vid link for Sirius in a squad as well as the aux audio I did in the same non sync squad.

Jason

Any chance you still have the video?

No I don't believe so. Sorry. It's no different than factory Sirius though.

Back