harsh downshifts and high idle until completely stopped? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

harsh downshifts and high idle until completely stopped?

Darian Key

Reaction score
City, State
Reford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford explorer
IMay or may not have seen previous posts but I fixed my cold start idle issues but still continuing on with this problem. I've replaced now the upper intake gasket and fixed ALL vacuum leaks. After I did this the problem was solved for a while then after driving it about 20+ miles it went back to how it would normally do. As I'm slowing down I can feel/watch the downshifts and then when I'm coming to a stop it sits at 1200 until I completely stop then it decides to. Go down too 800rpm. When I switch from park to reverse or drive the rpms jump and then settle back down. I have a cold air intake so you can hear when the IAC is open or closed and when it's idling high the IAC is opened up because it sounds like a huffing sound. Its a brand new IAC valve and when I unplug it all the issues go away once its warmed up. What might it be? I reset the computer and that fixes it for a little while then back too normal. 97 Xlt 4.0ohv with 163,000 miles. The only code I have is for a fault in bank 1 sensor 2 (forgot which code)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump! Unplugging my IAC does fix all my issues but I just tried to see if I maybe got a faulty IAC from auto zone and still doing the same thing. What could my problem be? Resetting the computer works but only for a little while then back to normal.

Almost sounds like a vacuum leak

Is there a gasket that goes with them? I don't know.

Yeah a paper gasket. I had that on there but took it out and put some rtv around the old print gasket and nope still nothing. Like I said it drives perfect with it unplugged once warmed up

Back