Hartman's 1996 5.0 V8 THE GOLDEN GOOSE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hartman's 1996 5.0 V8 THE GOLDEN GOOSE

As many of you know this is my second Explorer. I sold my old 95 in 08 to buy a car. Well, I have a Mustang GT now and I needed something for winter/rain/zombie apocalypse. Naturally I started looking for another Explorer because I already know quite a bit about them after spending 7 years here.

After several months, I picked up this 96 Explorer V8 for $1400. It was ugly and had some EGR issues, but other than that it was just dirty. Strong drivetrain.

(dead links)

I wish I took pictures of the interior carpets, they were almost black.

Here are some pics after I cleaned it up a bit:

The rear tires were worn, so rather than buying two new tires, I started my hunt for some BFGs :D Got lucky and came across some two month old BFG AT on craigslist for $300. :bounce:

Added some Warrior shackles with a TT. Painted the center of the grille metallic gray. As she sits now:
(dead links)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's one clean machine:chug:

Thanks Rick. The pics make the paint look better than it is...but I still keep it clean!

...It's nice to have you back in the fold.....

Ryan

Thanks guys. I am still looking into my long starts issue...basically it turns over an extra 1-2 seconds before firing. Always fires, just takes longer than normal. I've also developed a small antifreeze leak coming from the front of the engine on the drivers side. I'm thinking it must be the water pump since it's coming from the front of the engine and all the hoses seem to be fine.

nice x

Looking really nice! :thumbsup:

I had a similar starting issue on Shamrock, it ended up being the crank sensor...

Need a saddle tan cargo shade? :D

Not much going on with the Explorer besides a new water pump, thermostat, belt, idler pullies and tensioner pulley.

I guess this would be considered a "mod", replaced my old broken Explorer emblem from a newer one off eBay:
(dead links)

I really dig your truck, Hartman... Very nice. What kind of paint did you use on your grille? Is it chipping at all?

I still have that saddle tan cargo shade... :D

I just used regular Duplicolor that I had laying around for the grille. No chipping as I used primer and copious amounts of clear over it.

10-4, Ghostrider... :)

It hurt my eyes to look at your X with the original tires. The BFGs really help make it. The shackles and TT help as well.

I like your painted grill. I'll probably do something with mine when the weather is more painting friendly. Mine is faded kinda funky.

This is a dumb question and I'm sure it could be found by searching, but- how do you remove the grill? Does it just pull off or is it fastened in place another way? I've poked my head around and couldn't determine how it was held on.

It hurt my eyes to look at your X with the original tires. The BFGs really help make it. The shackles and TT help as well.

I like your painted grill. I'll probably do something with mine when the weather is more painting friendly. Mine is faded kinda funky.

This is a dumb question and I'm sure it could be found by searching, but- how do you remove the grill? Does it just pull off or is it fastened in place another way? I've poked my head around and couldn't determine how it was held on.

Well I didn't remove the grill to paint it, but I do know how to remove the grille, it's just been a while. First thing you have to remove the corner lights, there are screws behind them. You also have to take the top cowl cover, remove the screws behind them as well. Then simply pull the grill outwards, it's held in with friction clips.

Looks good. I wasnt digging you Ex with the old tires, but with the lift and BFGs it looks way nice. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

The truck looks nice Hartman. I like it.

Welp my Mustang is for sale so my Explorer is going to become my primary vehicle soon. Already ordered all four balljoints, outer tie rods, and new hood struts. I'll be doing mostly maintenance but I never know what mods will come along.

Here are some minor issues I'm chasing right now
- Truck kind of hesitates when starting. Always fires but seems like it takes an extra half-second to second to fire. It hasn't ever failed to start so I'm not too worried. Might be the camshaft position sensor/synchronizer
- AC only works on MAX. Thinking blend door problem. May wait until next spring to fix ;)
- Engine temp gauge fluctuates from 1/4th to 1/3rd. Water pump and thermostat are new. I'm thinking either the coolant temp sensor is bad or the fan clutch is toast and is always running the fan
- Outside drivers door handle is floppy and needs replaced soon. Already replaced inside door handle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks about the mustang....As for the fan only working on high its probably the blower motor resistor, its under the hood at the hvac there are I believe 4 wires going into it and 2 small screws, I changed one out before on the V6 and was easy to do so.

Back