Has anyone done a oil breather filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone done a oil breather filter

onecrazyfuq

Reaction score
City, State
Bethpage, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
I am looking to replace my crankcase hose with a breather filter. i jsut revieced a k&n intake kit which i am installing and it has the tube for the crankcase. how should i plug that or should i put a filter on that too? whatd you guys do? and does anyone have pictures or can find some for me? thanx -ANTHONY-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well know that what you propose is illegal and should you do it, you will not pass any smog test.

haha skrew the EPA and any agency that tries to restrict effieciency to all hell. China and India burn their waste in open pits and here we are worrying about micro hydro-carbons. When a volcano erupts or natural gas pits spew gaseous fumes into our atmosphere which does much more harm than any and all the humans combined could, doesnt that make you think. My god you GREEN ppl kill me with your electric cars.. which Hydro-electricity is one of the most polluting forms of creating energy. And let me Recycle my Hazardous battery that I used for my solar energy but I lived by San Francisco so the fog wouldnt allow a full charge.... So then I switched to Wind Mills but they killed endangered birds like the California Condor.. Make your mind up ppl. The internal combustion engine isnt the most effiecient form of propulsion. But its all we have. Lets just ride around with Hydrogen Tanks in our trunks so when we get rear-ended we get light up the intersection like the hindenburg. Yes the Original German Blimps used Hellium, but the US had a Hellium ban imposed by the military, they had an embargo on helium. Which forced the Germans to use Hydrogen.

yea but it makes it hard to get your registration when the time comes. But if 1.5 horse power is that important then by all means.

I have done it and yes, the engine idles better and the gas mileage is up a small amount.

here is mine...
attachment.php

When a volcano erupts or natural gas pits spew gaseous fumes into our atmosphere which does much more harm than any and all the humans combined could, doesnt that make you think.
I think comparing the effect of something that resides in one domain to the effect of something thats on a different domain is like looking for an excuse. We've all heard of the grade-school "dog ate my homework" excuse but to an extent, comparing the effect of human activity to what a volcano can do in one sitting is looking for an excuse. We use the dog as a scapegoat because the dog's behavior is, to a degree, not really something we can control -- just like a volcano.

Even if my ecological footprint is nothing like what a volcano can do in one puff, I will still try to minimize that footprint because I know what the exhaust fumes can do after accidentally breathing in my Explorer's exhaust one night-- my head was in the sink throwing up the next morning not knowing which way is up or down.

I have done it and yes, the engine idles better and the gas mileage is up a small amount.

How does adding a filter directly to the valve cover instead of using air from the intake side give you better mileage and idling? I am sure there is a reason, but I can't think of why. You are also now taking in very hot air.

I don' think the differential in pressure to the breather is much when in intake stream at ilde or under load.

Since Aldive has done this you can trust that it works and is not harming the environment.

How does adding a filter directly to the valve cover instead of using air from the intake side give you better mileage and idling? I am sure there is a reason, but I can't think of why. You are also now taking in very hot air.
I don't think the differential in pressure to the breather is much when in intake stream at idle or under load.

What is taking in hot air? If anything thing the intake would be cooler... I think you have the Positive Crankcase Ventilation theory mixed up. The intake take keeps a vacuum on the crankcase via the PCV, so the engine doesn't build up too much pressure and blow up. The intake doesn't feed the PCV, it's the other way around.

What is taking in hot air? If anything thing the intake would be cooler... I think you have the Positive Crankcase Ventilation theory mixed up. The intake take keeps a vacuum on the crankcase via the PCV, so the engine doesn't build up too much pressure and blow up. The intake doesn't feed the PCV, it's the other way around.

The PCV goes into the intake manifold where the vacuum is produced . The hose from The INTAKE HOSE goes into the right valve cover is a fresh air inlet. Thats why I said it would intake hot air i f you bypass the feed and just put a filter on the valve cover. I didn't mean the intake feeds the PCV, sorry if I misled my question THE intake HOSE feeds the breather hose.. BUT I still want to know how it provides a gain in mpg? Again I wonder whether differential pressure would play a part.

Since Aldive has done this you can trust that it works and is not harming the environment.

I rather an explanation.

The PCV goes into the intake manifold where the vacuum is produced . The hose from The INTAKE HOSE goes into the right valve cover is a fresh air inlet. Thats why I said it would intake hot air i f you bypass the feed and just put a filter on the valve cover. I didn't mean the intake feeds the PCV, sorry if I misled my question THE intake HOSE feeds the breather hose.. BUT I still want to know how it provides a gain in mpg? Again I wonder whether differential pressure would play a part.

I rather an explanation.

Aldive is very thorough in testing mods that increase millage and power. He also is environmentally concerned and would not remove any part or device that would cause emissions to be released.

The thinking for this mod is to take away any un-metered air that enters the motor. Further, it also eliminates crankcase vapors from ventureing into your intake coating throttle body with oil, hence impairing gas mileage as well as performance.

Since doing this mod, my TB is as clean as new. Prior to this mod it was always oily.

This is a very popular mod among the Sport Trac crowd. Zabteck Performance even sells a kit to acomplish the mod.

The thinking for this mod is to take away any un-metered air that enters the motor. Further, it also eliminates crankcase vapors from ventureing into your intake coating throttle body with oil, hence impairing gas mileage as well as performance.

Since doing this mod, my TB is as clean as new. Prior to this mod it was always oily.

This is a very popular mod among the Sport Trac crowd. Zabteck Performance even sells a kit to acomplish the mod.

Oh you were getting oil into your throttle body. Do you have a catch can on the intake manifold side to eliminate any oil entering via PCV side?
Good enough thanks.

I have yet to see any oil or signs or residue into my throttle body. I even have my frantz filter return line going into my oil filler cap.

Again I thought the flow of air into and from engine was from right valve (intake hose breather line)breather then into and around out PCV and into intake manifold. So I thought that maybe under load your differential pressure and maybe a failed PCV was allowing oil to go into your Intake hose then throttle body.

:salute:

Aldive is very thorough in testing mods that increase millage and power. He also is environmentally concerned and would not remove any part or device that would cause emissions to be released.

I understand that...:thumbsup:

I rather read why so to better make me understand if This needs to be done.:salute: :thumbsup:

Back