Has anyone had pop/click from slip yoke? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone had pop/click from slip yoke?

Cashcrazy

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Explorer
I have been trying to track down a loud pop or click coming from my explorer. The noise occurs when making a sharp right at low speeds. At first I thought it was suspension related since the wheel was turned, but I know added stress can be created in other areas. I replaced the front upper control arms(new bushings and ball joints) and lower ball joints. The tie rod ends felt good when I had it apart. The noise sounded like it might be coming from the tail of the transmission or in that area. Everything is tight under the vehicle and the only part I know that is moving and could cause this noise is the slip yoke. As part of my process of elimination I am curious if anyone else has experienced noises from the slip yoke. I have never removed a drive shaft designed like the explorer it appears to have a flange on the rear axle that is unbolted and the slip yoke should then come off. Any other surprises I should be aware of? Does anyone have the torque specs for the flange bolts? I am probably going to drop the drive shaft to inspect and grease the splines to see if there is any change. Thanks in advance.

Back